Unbelievable

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Not sure it belongs here but I couldn't find any topic about the Philippines where this would fit ....

Just when you think you have heard or seen it all after 8+ years up pops a new experience ..... 

There is a young guy early 20's who does some work for us outside ..... he has built bamboo fences and is very good at it ..... well we hired him again to extend the length of our front gate (new car won't fit in it as it is 2ft. longer than our old one) ..... as he had a prior engagement he agreed to start the next day (today) ..... about 6:00pm last night he sent J a text asking if he could borrow some money to pay his electric bill before it gets cut off ..... not really strange as he has gotten a Days advance on his pay before she she asked him how much .... his reply p4,000 ..... and to please have pity on his children ....

Well J's neck hairs rose and she got mad ..... but she explained we don't loan money to anyone ..... he then said his mother-in- wanted to talk to her about the money and promised to pay it back on the 15th .... she told him she had no need in talking to her as she didn't even know her ..... and again sorry but we don't lend money .....

I just can't imagine someone who doesn't even know you can ask to borrow money .... his father-in-law is an OFW and the family lives in a shanty ... we don't even have a p4000 electric bill so we smelled a rat right from the start .... we he is here working right now so he can take his pay and put a down payment on the electric bill ......

Unbelievable

• Like 2

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

we have had this quite a lot recently, having to hire day helpers as mother in law is bedridden, we are on our 5th day helper !! others didnt turn up every day, some wanted a 1000 peso advance  on the first day !!

my wife may be small but when she says NO ! she means it !!

Luckily we have now found 2 good young sisters one covers daytime the other covers nights.

we had builders also wanting loans for this and that but my wife told them where to go !

" my husband may be a Englishman but we are not rich !! " they just smile and carry on working

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

And here I was just about to chime in on the honesty topic :unsure:

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well I got the rest of the story ..... seems he allowed to other houses to tie on to his electric till they could get their own meter ..... that was 2 months ago ..... so we advised him to start collecting money from them or cut their power off ..... again unbelievable ....

And here I was just about to chime in on the honesty topic :unsure:

I still find the vast majority of Filipinos to be honest and hard working .... and other than a few other times the only time we have been asked for such a large amount ...... even J immediate family doesn't ask for money ....

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Jack, after 8 years plus, I really don't think you are all that shocked?  I got done once here in Thailand and never again.  

If JC himself knocked and put the crunch on me I would still say NO - well done Jack.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Jack, after 8 years plus, I really don't think you are all that shocked?  I got done once here in Thailand and never again.  

If JC himself knocked and put the crunch on me I would still say NO - well done Jack.

Jack who? Jack in a box? 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Jack who? Jack in a box? 

Can't be Me? I didn't say a word on this one 

Jack post-2148-0-75974500-1441271259.png

• Like 1