Air Bnb

RBM
Posted
Posted

Has anyone out there used this service?

Just came across it and presume it is similar to agoda and or other booking agencies.

Be interested to know the reliability of same if using card and the integrity of the service.

Appreciate any comments from those whom have used the service.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I tried to set up an account as a homeowner with a room to rent out and I can tell you there are no checks and balances in place.  Whatever the owner lists is taken as gospel so its buyer beware.  Its likely they have safeguards in place so if you show up and hate the place then you can get a refund, but if you show up and hate the place, what then?  Disclaimer:  I only advertised the truth and listed my rooms at a fair price but due to location I had no takers.  Point is there are many honest people, like myself, listing on the site so your experience may be great.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted (edited)

I tried to set up an account as a homeowner with a room to rent out and I can tell you there are no checks and balances in place.  Whatever the owner lists is taken as gospel so its buyer beware.  Its likely they have safeguards in place so if you show up and hate the place then you can get a refund, but if you show up and hate the place, what then?  Disclaimer:  I only advertised the truth and listed my rooms at a fair price but due to location I had no takers.  Point is there are many honest people, like myself, listing on the site so your experience may be great.

Thanks for the feed back Dave. We are mostly concerned with Bacolod  and as little familiar with same can mostly recognize the building as per the photo. 

Still there is a risk involved, just wondering if payment is made to the site or the owner.

Edited by RBM

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

I have used AirBnB dozens of times, mostly in Europe, but, also in Hong Kong, Tanzania, Australia, New Zealand and Cambodia.

It can be excellent. You can save some serious money using them.

Here is the way I use them:

1. I almost always book an "Entire Place". That way I don't have to deal with sharing a bathroom, etc.

2. I only book places that have excellent reviews by other guest. The more the better. (Let someone else "be first'.)

3. Pay close attention to costs. Some have cleaning fees, the first price you see is the base price, it won't include AirBnB's take, which can be substantial. So, look at the total cost and compare that to a hotel.

4. Pay close attention to location and how you are going to get to and from while you are staying there.

5. Pay close attention to cancellation terms. Some are very generous, some not.

I've only had one bad experience. That was a stay in Hong Kong. It was only bad because I shared the apartment with the owner and his son, and the owner smoked like a chimney.

I've had many great experiences and bargains. An entire apartment in Paris for $70/night. A room in an upscale, for Tanzania, home with a wonderful couple. Samething in Christchurch.

• Like 3

northtoalaska
Posted
Posted

<<<<Still there is a risk involved, just wondering if payment is made to the site or the owner.<<<<<<

Payment is made to AirBnB, they in turn pay the owner. (After they take a cut out of the owner's share. AirBnB gets it coming and going—they charge you, the renter a percentage, and, they also charge the owner a percentage.)

Another note on charges....Some rentals ask for a damage deposit. AirBnB will charge your card for that and then reimburse you once your stay has concluded and they get the all clear from renter. I've never had any problem getting reimbursed. You can read AirBnB policies on resolutions of disputes, etc. to understand how they go about things if there is a problem.

Oh! And another thing, when you are reading the reviews of a rental take note of where the people are from who are writing the reviews. I've found that, for example, in places like the Philippines and India, locals will tend to have expectations that are different than your average European or North American. What might appear to be "wonderful" for Mrs and Mr. Gupta from Dehli mayn't be so wonderful for Sven and Hilda from Helsinki.

• Like 2