The Philippines Tallest Bridge

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Has anyone seen this bridge yet? P1 billion for a bridge seems like a lot of money to spend when people are starving. I wonder if the bridge will help the economy? The Agas-Agas Bridge in Southern Leyte will be inaugurated tomorrow to become the country

post-40-1249757065_thumb.gif

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Has anyone seen this bridge yet? P1 billion for a bridge seems like a lot of money to spend when people are starving. I wonder if the bridge will help the economy? The Agas-Agas Bridge in Southern Leyte will be inaugurated tomorrow to become the country's tallest at 89 meters. The 350-meter-long bridge in Sogod town cost P1 billion, financed largely by a loan from the Japan International Cooperation Agency. The government plans to hold bungee jumping, paramotor, downhill skateboarding, zipline rapelling and other extreme sports on the bridge. Viewing decks have been installed on each side of the bridge so motorists can stop and enjoy the view.http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=index
How about driving across it. Is that allowed or will it be blocked with vendors?

Guest OceanBreeze
Posted
Posted

2 more photos ... 2536545456_acedfc440d.jpg090417-r8-agasbridge.jpgI also read that there was a controversial discussion about this project because its constructed at a tectonic active area.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Has anyone seen this bridge yet? P1 billion for a bridge seems like a lot of money to spend when people are starving. I wonder if the bridge will help the economy? The Agas-Agas Bridge in Southern Leyte will be inaugurated tomorrow to become the country's tallest at 89 meters. The 350-meter-long bridge in Sogod town cost P1 billion, financed largely by a loan from the Japan International Cooperation Agency. The government plans to hold bungee jumping, paramotor, downhill skateboarding, zipline rapelling and other extreme sports on the bridge. Viewing decks have been installed on each side of the bridge so motorists can stop and enjoy the view.http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=index
I think it will help the community,if the roads are not passable then every thing comes to a stand still.As for the cost I think one has to put aside thoughts about starving people as if there is no progress then nothing will ever change.The bridge would have created many jobs which would have feed many family's.Agas-Agas bridge The Agas-Agas bridge is being built near Sogod in southern Leyte.The national highway was clinging precariously to unstable mountain sides and was getting washed out from time to time by the heavy rains.This bridge should eliminate the landslide dangers and keep the highway open and safe by bypassing the problem areas.The Japanese company Sumitomo Construction LTD is the main player in putting this project together.thumbs_010a4_leyte-bridge-009.jpgthumbs_010a4_leyte-bridge-008.jpgthumbs_010a4_leyte-bridge-008.jpgthumbs_010a4_leyte-bridge-007.jpgThe previous route was carved into the sides of some very steep mountains that often collapsed during the heavy rains in southern Leyte. These landslides would shut down the entire National Highway system so this solution should make the road more stable and safe. When complete, it should stretch across a gap around 350 meters in length.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I spend time in the Sogod Bay area often but never traveled up that part of the national highway because "they" said the road was so bad. This is NPA country. "Viewing decks have been installed on each side of the bridge so motorists can stop and enjoy the view." How long before vendors infest them? :23_11_62[1]:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I spend time in the Sogod Bay area often but never traveled up that part of the national highway because "they" said the road was so bad. This is NPA country. "Viewing decks have been installed on each side of the bridge so motorists can stop and enjoy the view." How long before vendors infest them? :23_11_62[1]:
Do you think I would get into trouble if I set up a toll gate on each side,looks like I have found a side line business :thumbsup:

Travis
Posted
Posted

I hope the NPA don't blow it up

samatm
Posted
Posted (edited)
I spend time in the Sogod Bay area often but never traveled up that part of the national highway because "they" said the road was so bad. This is NPA country. "Viewing decks have been installed on each side of the bridge so motorists can stop and enjoy the view." How long before vendors infest them? :23_11_59[1]:
LOl... I get so tired of hearing "this is NPA country" . I think its used by my wife and her family to stop me from going places.. I just say..so what.. I hv friends on both sides.... That bridge is cool.. if it helps open up an isolated area and will help drive tourism.. funded by the Japs.. I say two thumbs up... The vendors will be there for sure.. Edited by samatm

hotcha
Posted
Posted
2 more photos ... 2536545456_acedfc440d.jpg090417-r8-agasbridge.jpgI also read that there was a controversial discussion about this project because its constructed at a tectonic active area.
:thumbsup:

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Exactly! SugarwareZ-003.gif

LOl... I get so tired of hearing "this is NPA country" . I think its used by my wife and her family to stop me from going places..
Edited by Boss Man
Fixed quote tags