My Lucky Day Yesterday

DavidK
Posted
Posted

I missed the very small child that ran out in front of the car. Going downhill from the golfclub, with a very wet road. Didn't see the child until it was almost infront of me and skidded to a stop, either having slowed enough for the child to get past or stopping just before, not sure which to be honest and not sure how I managed to miss it. Guess it was his/her lucky day as well.

Just shows that even with no visible habitation on either side of the road you'd best be on high alert at all times when driving here.

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Yes, it was your LUCKY DAY. How many more do you have?  That little experience of yours is just another reason why I do not plan on buying a vehicle here.

Good Luck or more of it in your future.

We had a "close one" last weekend going to Jack's Ridge. We were in a taxi and not paying attention. We were just enjoying the ride when suddenly the driver slammed on his brakes. We looked up in time to see a dump truck with a full load coming downhill from a side street ( with no driver). The driver was running behind it. He jumped in just in time to bring it to  a stop but after it crossed in front of us.

I guess the emergency brake failed but a good thing that it had not gathered any speed yet. Our driver didn't say anything but my wife and I were thanking God for his (driver) ability to stop in time.

That's about as close to getting injured or killed here. Nothing I could do.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

Great post and an excellent reminder to us all. Glad it ended well.

Never take eyes of the road, recently had a small kid run out in front of me, just stopped in time. One just cannot look around ever eyes on the road only.

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Was coming home 10pm last night from Cebu to Mactan, truck carrying cement storm water pipes cleans up a motorbike that didn't even stop to look coming out on his right side, rider under the back wheels.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Was coming home 10pm last night from Cebu to Mactan, truck carrying cement storm water pipes cleans up a motorbike that didn't even stop to look coming out on his right side, rider under the back wheels.

It doesn't surprise me. I see more motorcycle accidents than cars. " rider under back wheels" That's  an ugly scene.

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted

Motorcycle operators seem to have a death wish. Maybe they think they'll get their ticket to heaven punched?

• Like 2