Hong Kong Questions

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm going to Hong Kong early Saturday and will return early Sunday.  I have a day to burn but I am not real thrilled by the idea of trying to figure out any complex logistics for such a short visit.

I have a few questions that I am sure a few of you have experience with.

1.  I get in at 0855 on Cebu Pacific.  I'm staying at the Regent Airport hotel.  Check-in time is 1400.  If I am going to stay in the airport / hotel area (pool, gym, relax, shop) for the day, what should I do for these hours before check-in?  I suppose I could just leave my bag at the hotel and get walking exercise, and become an expert on the airport layout.

2.  Are there any duty free deals in the airport?  I'm usually not a fan of airport duty free shopping but there are a few things I am looking for:

A.  Champagne?  Super expensive here in PH.

B.  Sports camera with underwater capability?  Like and Olympus TG-4?  Are there shops for cameras and electronics in the airport?  Probably a stupid                        question as every new airport is built around shopping!  High prices?  Low prices?

3.  I assume most places in the airport take credit cards, correct?

4.  If I decide to venture into Hong Kong with the main purpose of looking for cameras or electronics, where should I go and how should I get there?

A,  I thought I might enquire at the hotel about a tour bus to the city.

B.  If I take the train, what stop(s) are good for this?

5.  If I decide to go into the city with the main purpose of sightseeing, do some of the tour buses stop at electronic area(s)?  I think I can get a tour bus from the airport or hotel.

6.  Originally thought I might go to Disney by myself.  The purpose would be to see if it would be worth it to take my girls there next time.  Abby and Oz don't like rides that go fast (I love them) or make you dizzy, so any riding would be the baby kiddy rides.  Little Katy at 18 months will be the daredevil in the family but she will need to be a lot older before she can do a roller coaster with me!   I think I can get the train to Disney right in the airport.

7.  Any other good options I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for help on any and all!

Don

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

1.  I get in at 0855 on Cebu Pacific.  I'm staying at the Regent Airport hotel.  Check-in time is 1400.  If I am going to stay in the airport / hotel area (pool, gym, relax, shop) for the day, what should I do for these hours before check-in?  I suppose I could just leave my bag at the hotel and get walking exercise, and become an expert on the airport layout.

2.  Are there any duty free deals in the airport? 

3.  I assume most places in the airport take credit cards, correct?

7.  Any other good options I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for help on any and all!

Don

1.  By the time you allow for late arrival of CP flight, getting through to the Immigration, walking to the hotel, it will already be almost noon.  This ain't the Philippines, if your room is ready they will let you check in at noon.  If not, just go for lunch.

2.  There is a crap load of shopping in the HK airport but the prices are the same or higher than you would find anywhere else in Hong Kong.  Yes, they say duty free but I saw no deals that I would get excited over.  But the selections are good.  

3.  Yes they all take credit cards.

7.  There are lots of touristy things to do but you are not going to have a lot of time.  If its me, I'd take the city bus to Citygate Outlet mall.  Its less than 15 minutes away but don't take the train as it goes the long long way to get there.  Lots of stores and restaurants and you can get the cable car to the big budha if that thrills you.

• Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted
This ain't the Philippines,

The hotel will probably let you check in and leave your bags with the concierge if the room is not ready.

You might like to spend HK$300 and get a "Tourist Octopus Card"  at the airport - it gives you one trip into Central and one return  on the Airport Express (takes 20 minutes) and unlimited travel on buses and the Mass Transit Railway.

Shopping for cameras etc is a bit more expensive at the airport because of the rents - keep in mind that Duty Free only relates to drink and cigarettes because there is no duty on anything else anyway. I am not up to date on where to shop for underwater stuff and / or cameras but loads of places. If in doubt ask the Tourist Information Centre or the hotel reception.

K and the then 5 year old sprog did Disneyland last year. He liked it, but got tired.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks guys!

Yes, I figured the hotel would keep my bag for a while if needed.  I will only have a small carry one.

The tourist octopus might be the ticket!

If I have the energy, I might do the airport shopping tour early, then check in, and then head to central.

I'm not too concerned about getting a great price on the camera I am interested in.  I can't get it in PH so as long as the price is in the ballpark, I would get it.  It goes for $379 usd (currently about 2937 hkd) on Amazon so if I found it for ~ 3000 or bit more hkd, that would be a good deal.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

Arrgh I seem to have deleted my detailed reply so a quicker version...

1) I agree with the points above but would hope you clear the airport quickly in the morning.

2) As you say a tourist Octopus card is just the ticket. Pick up as many free maps as you can.

3) If you go to Central (downtown HK Island) I would take a bus from the airport. It takes longer than the Airport Express but the view from the top deck is worth it.

4) A few years ago the HK government took most of the duty off wine so is good value. Not sure if Champagne counts as wine.

5) If the weather is fine a good itinerary for a new visitor could be:

Bus to Central -- pop into one of the malls to shop -- quick lunch -- take the Peak Tram to Victoria Peak -- stroll round the peak for views of Victoria Harbour and the South China sea -- down on the Peak Tram and take the open top bus to the Star Ferry Pier -- Star Ferry to Kowloon -- Airport Express to Airport and walk or shuttle-bus to your hotel.

Be prepared for hoards of Mainland Chinese tourists (AKA locusts) since next week is mainly holidays here, starting with Mid-Autumn Festival on Sunday.

By coincidence I'm passing through CLK on my way to Manila just a few hours after you return.

Cheers Terry

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Arrgh I seem to have deleted my detailed reply so a quicker version...

I hate when that happens!  Thanks for the great advice.  Unfortunately for me the weather forecast is Friday clear, Sat rain, Sun rain, Mon clear!   :bash:

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

Bad luck with the weather. It looks as if visiting a mall might be the option to take. Citygate as suggested above or, for a more upmarket option, Harbour City in Tsim Sha Tsui. HC is right by the Kowloon Star Ferry pier so you have multiple options if there is a window of good weather.

Cheers

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I made it but almost thought i wouldnt. Yesterday i started getting the runs and this morning i wasnt sure i should go. However immodium helped and i am almost ok.

That put a damper on any big plans. Regal airport hotel is really nice and i got a great deal. They would have let me check in at 1030 with a single bed room, but i waited til 12 to get a queen. They still did not have so they upgraded me to the executive floor and checked me in.

They have an imax in terminal 2 so i think i will see Everest in 3d later.

I found the camera i mentioned but it is 3700 hkd, about 100 usd over the amazon price. Too high for me.

I sure have a hard time understanding the accent here. I used to have no problems because i worked with many chinese, but now i am constantly asking them to repeat.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

We just went to Hong Kong a few months ago, for my balikbayan stamp.

The airport was a breeze, so you should have not problem getting through customs/immigration.  We did not look at any airport shops. I have never found good prices at any airport.  The biggest problem we had with shopping in the city was .... all the "made in China" junk we get over here, comes from there... There must be better shops, but we only had one day of shopping and did not find them.  Actually some of the prices we saw were more expensive there. (Kowloon District)

Disney is nice but small.  Half the size of the Magic Kingdom at Disney World.  30 some odd rides compared to over 60.  It was my wife's first real amusement park so she loved it.  She got tired and we did not even finish it.... amateur... 

I doubt you would have time to do Disney and shopping in one day, most likely have to pick just one.    :tiphat:

• Like 3