Bringing Your Car To The Philippines

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

We all know about the headaches about shipping a vehicle to the Philippines. This post will be short on specifics but might just give a little insight to the challenges.

My brother in law works for the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and just returned from a 6 year posting as the attaché to Guam. He was allowed 1 forty foot container to bring house hold good back home at no charge. He elected to buy a car in Guam and ship it in his container along with his other stuff. Because of his job he did not have to pay tax, duties or any other costs.

He returned home with his family 15 May 2015, his container hit the port 13 June 2015. His house hold goods were delivered to his home 18 June 2015..................The Car HOWEVER, is still in customs as of this date. The inspections, coordination with LTO, getting it appraised by an authorized dealer so his insurance company could properly insure it, and maybe a couple of other details.

Like I said this is not supposed to be a guide or even a detailed account. Just an overall impression. If a senior Philippine government employee has to jump through these hoops, Imagine what an expat working through an interpreter might possibly encounter.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Prior to my retirement from US Navy, I changed my home of record to the Philippines.  I was able to ship my household effects with free delivery to my door, after I paid to expedite the process from customs.  It cost me an expensive watch. Shipping a new vehicle could have cost me up to 100%, so that idea was thrown out the window.  Besides, it would have been stolen anyway.

Your brother in law, even though he may be a senior DFA official, he probably needs to go under the table for customs and LTO officials.  Hopefully, he's got some powerful connections to minimize the cost.  

Only en da Philippines......

Edited by Jake

Thomas
Posted
Posted
His house hold goods were delivered to his home 18 June 2015..................The Car HOWEVER, is still in customs as of this date.
That's not odd, because cars aren't counted as house hold goods...   :)
  • Like 1