Two Sides Of The Story

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Although there are two sides of this story I don't believe the actions of the locals justify their reasoning.  

'I thought I was going to die': Professional Gold Coast surfer who was mauled with bats and bottles in the Philippines after he accidentally drifted into the local surf break

A Gold Coast surfer is lucky to be alive after he was viciously attacked in the water by a mob of five locals during a World Surfing League event in the Philippines.
Brent Symes, 36, of Tweed Heads in northern NSW, accidentally drifted too close to the surf break while watching the trials of of the Siargao Cloud 9 Surfing Cup.
Upon realising his position, he caught a wave in, but was greeted at the shore by a group of Filipino surfers who proceeded to viciously beat him with bats and bottles in knee-deep water.
According to the Gold Coast Bulletin, Filipino police confirmed that five locals were in custody and facing charges of attempted murder.

'I thought I was going to die,' the father-of-one said yesterday, according to the publication.
Mr Symes spoke of his fear after the attack, locking himself in his room for three days in fear of the men coming after him. 
'During this attack I was assaulted physically and had my surfboard destroyed and also had many cuts on my feet from defending myself in the water.
'I believe I did nothing wrong and the incident was a misunderstanding by local radicals.'
The World Surfing League released a statement following the incident.
'The WSL is aware of an incident regarding one of its competitors involved in an altercation that occurred during the non-sanctioned local trials ahead of our Philippines event.'

'The League is currently in discussion with the athlete, local authorities and event organisers in order to remedy the situation as safely and as soon as possible.'
Elaine Abonal, a spectator of the event and worker at 'Surfista Travels - Phillipines', took to Facebook to present a different perspective.
Ms Abonal wrote that Mr Symes showed a clear lack of respect for the local rules and traditions, and claimed Mr Symes 'was given numerous and clear warnings to get out of the contest area', which he ignored.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Sounds like what happened at the "Trestles" in Southern California during my surfing days when a bunch of Los Angeles surfers "invaded" a San Diego surf spot.

Surfers priority  in life are Board, Break and Babe. Touch any of the three and its on. :tiphat:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Although there are two sides of this story I don't believe the actions of the locals justify their reasoning.  

:unsure:  Do they Ever, ME, ME,ME, I,I,I, Mine ,Mine,Mine, Different story methinks, if he had paid to be there.  :)

just saying :rolleyes:

JP

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

The story stirs up controversy, for sure.  But one thing we should all agree on is that this forum has been saying for years that foreigners visiting the Philippines should keep a low profile and not provoke local people such that the locals 'lose face'

This is a prime example of what happens when you ignore all the advice given in this forum.  Was the resultant beating fair?  Of course not, but it could have been avoided and that is what we encourage on this forum.  Or so it seems to m.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I don`t think we will ever know the full story.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I don`t think we will ever know the full story.

Do we Ever? As soon as a Long Nose is involved V the Face, it is very quickly swept under the matpost-2148-0-26458400-1443323792.jpg I kid you not EH? :no:

JP :)

chris49
Posted
Posted

The story stirs up controversy, for sure.  But one thing we should all agree on is that this forum has been saying for years that foreigners visiting the Philippines should keep a low profile and not provoke local people such that the locals 'lose face'

This is a prime example of what happens when you ignore all the advice given in this forum.  Was the resultant beating fair?  Of course not, but it could have been avoided and that is what we encourage on this forum.  Or so it seems to m.

Yes don't enrcoach on local territory. Especially male dominated areas.

However on the 5 Filipino's in custody facing attempted murder charges, I take that with a grain of salt also. I take it to mean 5 Filipino's have been taken in for questioning. And that is all I see in it.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Yes don't enrcoach on local territory. Especially male dominated areas

http://www.clubofthewaves.com/surf-culture/beach-fights.php

This just not a Filipino on Tourist action.

• Like 1