Using Va Hospital Manila

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

http://youtu.be/YB1qDD4FksU,

I found this interview on youtube the other day and was surprised at the benefits available in the Philippines. I was wondering if anyone has used any of the medical benefits while in the Philippines. Also the information is at BADLADZ.com

I found a you tuber using the GI bill at the Doctors University in Cebu to get a computer science degree. he is at Aheezy Da Islander.

Anyone else using these benefits care to share experience?   

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

What VA hospital? There's only the VA Clinic, annex the the US Embassy...annex but it's 3 km down the road on Roxas Blvd.

The New GI Bill is payable in the Philippines. The new rules do state the benefits must be initiated within 10 years of discharge. My daughter gets it, but she's in the USA (non Filipino)

The GI Bill pays 36 months of schooling, usually 4 years @ 9 months a year with no benefit paid in the 3 month summer break. The GI Bill has built in allowances for cost of living and incidentals. The amount payable in the PI is $1509 per month. About 70 k in pesos a month. It's common here among vets receiving a pension to be enrolled in a program. It's kind of a scam, but it is an earned benefit which the vet has contributed to through salary deductions.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

As always we as members might be wrong, having said that I researched Medical Care for USA Vets extensively prior to our move. By my research the VA Annex in Manila (Chris is exactly right on the location) it is for "Service Connected" disabilities only. Notice the young vet being interviewed is medically retired from the service, so he can receive treatment there (only for his disability I believe, but I need to be checked on that). Dependents are not eligible for care there I believe under any circumstances. 

Now having said all that, we veterans who are qualified for Tricare can use Tricare standard here at approved medical facilities. (those are all listed on the VA website) In fact we just went for my wife's checkup today. There is a USD 150 deductible, (we pay the first 150 bucks regardless) after that we pay only 25% of all "approved" treatment Tricare picks up the rest (addendum, we actually pay the whole bill up front, but Tricare reimburses us, checks usually arrive in about 30 days.) Medications are also reimbursable, but you have to send in all the paperwork to the states and frankly meds are so cheap I have not bothered with it at this point.

Where we go (Asian Hospital here in metro manila) there is actually an office that deals with foreign medical insurance. My wife walks in talks to the girls, they set up the appointments, wife goes to the doc, gets seen, doc hands here some paperwork, we return to the office, the girls take the paperwork and process it, 30 days later we get a check. So far we have had only one procedure be denied by Tricare. So, so far so good.

Their is also a catastrophic clause in there, not really completely up on the details, but if lets say I get hit by a truck and the medical bills reach a certain point, Tricare picks up the total bill. I will double tap the next time we are at the Hospital.

About the GI bill here, Chris is pretty much spot on if my 4 year old research is still valid.

• Like 4

Jake
Posted
Posted

I can only speak about retirees' benefits in the Philippines and not veterans who did not complete their 20 years.  I personally collected about $750 monthly under the old GI bill if I maintain my attendance and at least 15 college credits (1990's).  Every quarter, I must visit the VA office at the back of the US Embassy to verify my status and identity.  I received US Treasury checks via Philippine mail with no problems whatsoever.  Don't know about now.

While attending college in Cavite City, I soon found out from 2 other veterans that you are there to earn, not to learn.  Depending on the professor or the dean, you can easily facilitate your attendance and credits if you donate to the right people.  For the record, I will not support or endorse any such illegal activities.  To each, their own.......

There are a lot of checks and balances to go through due to active schemes already in place.  For example, the deceased veteran's GI benefits continue to be mailed to surviving dependents or any unauthorized relatives.  And therefore, the VA and Social Security located at the US Embassy and Tri-Care is quite busy verifying your status.  

Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 2

WordsandMusic
Posted
Posted

I apologize, I was speaking as a disabled Veteran. I was concerned about getting medications and of course the follow up appointments the VHA is found of putting me through. I was exposed to some chemicals and require three eye medications daily. I was able to get three months supply here before my trip there but, it wasn't easy. 

Here in the states, if you are further than 40 miles from a VHA facility, you can go to a civilian doctor/ family physician. They mailed us a card with a 1-800 number to verify we could use other doctors. 

I wonder if that is something that could apply there. If I live in Cebu, I would definitely be further than 40 miles away from whatever the VA was offering. 

• 1 month later...
Spectre13
Posted
Posted

Hey Words! Make sure you have an "alternate" medical source. I'm a 100% service-connected disabled vet and STILL can't get an appointment for checkups/meds within 2 months.