Corruption

Travis
Posted
Posted

I keep reading about the corruption that is supposed to be everywhere here but so far I have not seen any signs of it can anyone tell me what they have found and where so I will know it when I see it

Mik
Posted
Posted

Just last month they arrested an official in the Consolacion tax assessor's office for corruption (charging excessive amounts, not giving official receipts, etc.)

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Try to go to the local authorities and tell them you are planning to build a factory to build (Anything you are interested in?) and that you want to secure 100 hectors. That the company you represent has plenty of money to build a factory and warehouse. You are here to locate a good area to locate the facility site, and get all the pricing and overall projected cost. It will walk right up to you face and shake you hand, but be prepared for a long line of hand shakes. Then you will understand why companies are going elsewhere, where they do not have to shake so many hands. You will be surprised at how much money will be demanded up front to people who will actually do nothing for you, it is just the greasing palms that lubricate the wheels of progress, that helps this place remain as a third world country. If they did not do this, the Philippines would be filled with American and European factories, and the Philippines would have gross national product numbers larger than Japan and Korea combined. They would be one of the tourist capitals of the world too, if they could curb the corruption and pay people with rakes and brooms and clean up just a little.

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I keep reading about the corruption that is supposed to be everywhere here but so far I have not seen any signs of it can anyone tell me what they have found and where so I will know it when I see it
If you deal with immigration on anything more substantial then a tourist extension, you'll see the hands out. If you need to go to court for any paperwork, you'll see the hands out. If you ever get pulled over by a cop, expect to pay the 'fine' then and there. No ticket is written. I'm sure that money goes to the proper place.In my personal experience with immigration, I had to pay a 1000php 'filing fee' while applying for a visa. When I asked for a receipt for the fee, they told me their printer was broken so no receipt available. I guess it was just a coincidence that this 'filing fee' wasn't mentioned in any of the information I had about applying for the visa. When getting my marriage license, we were charged 100 php for the application despite the fact that the application had a 20 peso fee printed on it. When I asked, I was told that the fees had gone up. So, I sat down to fill out the application and watched 2 Filipinos pay a 20 peso fee, but it was 100 for me. Go figure. When dealing with the government, I quickly learned to stay home and send my wife to do things. We save money when she goes.For corruption outside of the government, go to any local retailer and see if they'll give you a discount if you don't require a receipt. Or conversely, negotiate your price, then demand an official BIR receipt and watch the price go up.

Travis
Posted
Posted

thank you for the replies I think corruption here is just not as fine tuned as it is in the USA