Zamboanga Sandakan Visa Run Boat - Still Running? Discontinued? Replaced?

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

There was what was called the Zamboanga Sandakan Visa Run it was done by Aleson Shipping which did a quick round-trip out of the Zamboanga port and went to Sandakan, Malaysia.  I was told it was stopped but perhaps it is still running..There must still be a boat running between the Philippines and Malaysia and it would far cheaper than airfare. Living on Mindanao doing a ferry boat could be a good option. Anyone have any information on this subject. If it is still possible I am sure other members would find it as a viable option for that dreaded mandatory Visa Run... 

This is an old article on the subject by DutchPickle http://www.dutchpick...n-visa-run.html

I checked the official Zamboanga City website and under 'TOURIST INFO INTERNATIONAL PORT OF ENTRY http://zamboanga.net/TouristInfo.htm it states the following under 'SEAPORT'

"The Port of Zamboanga is an international port of entry. It has a schedule passenger trip to Sandakan, Malaysia, a cruise ship destination and  several shipping lines offer regular trips from and to Davao. Cotabato, Dipolog/Dapitan, General Santos, Pagadian, Jolo, Bongao, Isabela, Cebu, Dumaguete, Iloilo, Bacolod, Manila etc."

This site is current so there seems to be a passenger boat which does run a regular service between the Philippines and Malaysia which means you can have your passports stamped. I will try to get more info on this subject as it could benefit a lot of expats may want a cheaper option for getting their passports re-stamped for their Visa requirements.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
Zamboanga City

Isn't this area still covered under a travel advisory by the US embassy?

• Like 2

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Zamboanga City

Isn't this area still covered under a travel advisory by the US embassy?

Yes, and I would stay in the city proper and restrict my main activities to the daythime and practice due dillengence. There are ferry service and flights into Zamboanga City which could preclude overland travel. I being a resident of Minanao for the last 7 years means I constanty live under a travel advisory... :)  

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

I hope it is still running as it would allow me to take my wife with me when I do the Visa run. We can easily take the bus from the Surigao City terminal and get to Zamboanga City as it about the same distance as it is to Davao City from here. Once in Zamboanga City I could book the two round-trips plus one throw-away ticket. We can hop over to Sandakan, Malaysia and stay a couple of days so we can eat some Malaysian food and perhaps do a little light shopping. Then return and get the Balikbayan Visa stamp probably the total cost would be less than the airfare for me to fly-out solo where I would have to return on a Tourist Visa.

The savings on the airfare and not having to go to the BI every two months for Visa renewals for the next year could be used to dig our first fish pond and initial tilapia fry or for a large number of lobster fingerlings. I have no problem with scenic 12 hour bus rides or long leisurely boat trips especially if I can get the Balikbayan Visa stamp and save a substantial amount of money in the little adventure. Plus the information would make a nice thread for the forum to assist other who may also be interested on using this option..

I think it would depend of the situation of an expat if this option is noteworthy. Example:

a. those times of year when the airlines are in peak seasons and airfares are all higher rates vs the off-season flight rates.

b.time frame, if you are forced to leave in short order and did not have the convenience to book super-saver fares.

c.Finances, many members are on fixed incomes and may not have the ability to have saved up enough to pay for 2 round-trips, throw-away ticket, ferries, hotels, taxis etc. 

As for myself living in Surigao I have to secure 2 round-trip (12 hour) ferry tickets just to get to Cebu, 2 round-trip airfares, 1 throw away ticket, hotel fees, food costs, taxis. The same if I go to Manila bour that is a 3 day ferry trip. Yes I can fly out of Surigao, but the Surigao airport is notorious for cancelling flights due to rain and fog and when I will be having to leave will be during the rainy season and a cancelled flight would cause a domino effect of rescheduling fees for ferries and flights and unexpected and unwanted extra expenses could spell deaster..

I have no problem with long bus rides, in fact just going to Butuan is a 4-5 hour adventure and up to 14 hours to get to Davao. Here in Surigao City taking a bus to Zamboanga and catching a ferry could be far less expense and less hassle than making the trip to Manila or Clark airports. I would have to take a 4-5 hour bus down to Butuan to catch a flight out to Cebu, or catch the overnight ferry to Cebu, 3-1/2 days to Manila, or to Manila and then a long bus to Clark.

There are thousands of expats who live further South on Mindanao than I do, and this Zamboanga ferry could be a viable option for them as well. Not everyone have credit cards handy or larger cash flows and a forced visa run is a difficult and expensive endeavor to them. Taking a bus and hopping a ferry could be far more convenient and less costly. This Zamboanga-Sandakan Visa run was popular for those who knew of it years back, but about 4 years ago it was said to be discontinued because there was not going to be a BI personel to stamp visas. I was surprised to find that the service had been restarted, so I am trying to get all the information as to designations, times, dates and expenses so members can decide if it is an option for them. Then they can view all the options such a seaports, airports and bus terminals and prices so they can pencil-whip the numbers for themselves. As for being convenient to those in Cebu? There is a regular 2Go Cebu-Zamboanga ferry in operation.

Anyone who can help with useful information on this subject would be appreciated.

• Like 1