Retirement Home Isabela And Farm Part 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Pictures look great , what was the budget for the build, if you dont mind me asking

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

We are extending at the moment Paul. Pictures in 2-3 weeks. Smaller scale than you, but it has it's own charm.

I think a few key points, if Paul would agree.

1. Getting decent piece of land in the provence or family land can be dirt cheap.

2. Using local labour, known to the family.

3. Sure there's a lot that can go wrong and physical presence is notalways possible. But with a trusted family member and your ability to send money monthly, the project can move quickly.

4, Ref point 3. If you can do it while still working, the financial impact is less. Like Paul who I think is around 50, working 5 more years until 55 is just about right. Taking advantage of 5 productive years, while not leaving it too late.

Paul, not right now. We will have a car next year and will do a tour, round trip. Meanwhile I am filing for my pension in Australia and that will be the priority for 2016.

I like the place and reckon it was built under 2M not including the furnishings.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

We have just finished our build, sadly I seem to write about the headaches of which there were many. Also we experienced some positives, like a brilliantly cleaver reliable electrian.

Would enjoy reading some of your positives and negatives Paul, also if not to personal sq meter cost as seems you have not skimped quality wise.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thank you for sharing Paul. For those of us stuck outside of Philippines it's so nice to see your new home and loved ones like that. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Pictures look great , what was the budget for the build, if you dont mind me asking

Steve 

Including the land and all furnishings, AC etc. it was Peso 2.5m.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Steve 

Including the land and all furnishings, AC etc. it was Peso 2.5m.

which illustrates the point I have been making all along. Go to a province which is somewhat remote, but closeenough to a city (in this case Santiago, in my case Vigan), with some decent amenities. Do whatever you can toget some land and away you go.

2.5 M is deluxe. I reckon about 1 M if you have the land, and keep in mind Paul is still working in the M.E.

Air con is totally optional, and that will bump up the electric bill, as will water pumps, washing machines, refs, anything else.

But if you want it you can have it. Probably not in a metropolitan area.