Information Required On A Location To Stay In Cebu City.

Eddie1
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys,

I am looking to obtain some local knowledge and advice from your good selves if possible.

I will be staying on Cebu for the month of February, my girlfriend  is due to give birth around the 8th of Feb., she lives in Cebu City in a barangay called Mambaling.

I am looking for a place to stay which is reasonably close to her but would give me access to a beach nearby, a few bars and restaurants etc, hopefully meet a few expats in the area, basically a kind of resort type area would be ideal.

Any ideas on accommodation?  I would like something a bit decent, a furnished apartment or condo ( not sure what the difference is?), a pool would be nice, either private or more likely communal, also not to be isolated cos she might bring the new little one there once she drops it, lol.

Also, if anybody might like to meet up and wet the babies head so to speak it would be great to meet with you, the members on this forum seem to be a real good bunch of guys and I am looking to meet up with people so I can have as bit of a social life when I return permanently in summer (UK summer) 2016.

I intend to drop by Dumaguete in the first week of March for a few days as I spent a couple of months there earlier this year, hoping to see if there are any houses in the Valencia or Bacong areas that might be becoming available for rent so again it would be nice to meet some forum members for a beer and a chat, maybe a couple of hours at the 'Why Not Bar'. (Jack, hopefully you will come for a beverage, wet the babies head?).

Anyway guys , thanks in advance for your help which I am sure will be forthcoming.

Eddie (London, UK).

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

Hi Guys,

I am looking to obtain some local knowledge and advice from your good selves if possible.

I will be staying on Cebu for the month of February, my girlfriend  is due to give birth around the 8th of Feb., she lives in Cebu City in a barangay called Mambaling.

I am looking for a place to stay which is reasonably close to her but would give me access to a beach nearby, a few bars and restaurants etc, hopefully meet a few expats in the area, basically a kind of resort type area would be ideal.

Any ideas on accommodation?  I would like something a bit decent, a furnished apartment or condo ( not sure what the difference is?), a pool would be nice, either private or more likely communal, also not to be isolated cos she might bring the new little one there once she drops it, lol.

Also, if anybody might like to meet up and wet the babies head so to speak it would be great to meet with you, the members on this forum seem to be a real good bunch of guys and I am looking to meet up with people so I can have as bit of a social life when I return permanently in summer (UK summer) 2016.

I intend to drop by Dumaguete in the first week of March for a few days as I spent a couple of months there earlier this year, hoping to see if there are any houses in the Valencia or Bacong areas that might be becoming available for rent so again it would be nice to meet some forum members for a beer and a chat, maybe a couple of hours at the 'Why Not Bar'. (Jack, hopefully you will come for a beverage, wet the babies head?).

Anyway guys , thanks in advance for your help which I am sure will be forthcoming.

Eddie (London, UK).

Hi Eddie, now this is only my opinion and there are lot's more experienced members here. My g/f's family lives near Mambaling so I know a little of the area. You won't find bars and resto's that cater for expat's there, lots of local places but that's about it, if you are happy eating filipino food and drinking red horse, go for it, there is a Mcdonalds on the main road but that's about it. Best, I would think to stay in Cebu proper, Mambaling is not far from the new SM Super Mall in SRP, so that would be maybe a 10 min and around 100 peso taxi ride from downtown Cebu with much better facilities for you. You don't say what price range but there are places to meet every budget. Again only me, but I would try to get a place near either SM or Ayala Malls, plenty of places their to eat and drink. As for the beaches, well you can forget Cebu, the closest would be Mactan Island at one of the resorts and being honest all of them so-so. The resorts are ok for a day out, good pools and amenities but you have to pay to enter anything from 150 pesos and up, a taxi from Cebu will set you back around 250 peso's one way. If you wanted a decent beach you would have to hire transport and travel an hour or two north or south of Cebu to find something. Good luck with your trip and congrads on the baby, hope all goes well with your girl.

• Like 5

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Ayala or Mango ave is a good place to meet expats. Mactan is the nearest place for half tidy beaches. Ask your better about a rental as they seem to be able to come up with the best deals.You can also try online for an apartment. Around March 10th seems like a good time for why not in Dumaguete I cannot come to Cebu as I will only have just come back from Thailand at the end of Jan and my wife wont wear me being away for a while.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I cannot come to Cebu as I will only have just come back from Thailand at the end of Jan and my wife wont wear me being away for a while.

OH! So Today, you are not in Charge :hystery:  post-2148-0-37877000-1445220137_thumb.pn 

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I am looking to obtain some local knowledge and advice from your good selves if possible. I will be staying on Cebu for the month of February, my girlfriend  is due to give birth around the 8th of Feb., she lives in Cebu City in a barangay called Mambaling.

I can't help you here but don't forget to check out the places on Listings as JGF mentioned. Click on the Hotel Banners on the Page Header. You may find Interesting Stuff there. :)

Jack post-2148-0-95284200-1445220392.png

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Do you mean this Mambaling?

Perhaps you will be in for a little culture shock?  Maybe staying at a hotel with a pool that is not too far from a nice mall will be a bit better.  But you have to decide what you want to spend for that.  There is only one hotel with a pool, that I know of, for under 1,000 pesos a night and then it jumps up to anywhere from 2,000 and up per night.  What did you plan to spend?

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Do you mean this Mambaling?

My goodness, just what are some of the People of Dumaguete Complaining about I ask my self?

Jack

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

We stayed at Saint Marks just a short walk to Mango Square.  2100 a night and an outstanding breakfast.  Rooms are compact, very clean with good internet and cable TV.  

My wife was visiting with a couple of her nieces and I told her I was going for a beer, walked to Mango was not a lot doing.  Walked back and saw an Irish Pub, meant a Brit there was having a conversation, my wife and one niece showed, told me they had been searching for a bit more than an hour.  That meant they left about 5 minutes after me.  I returned with them as I am not old enough to drink alone in a big city. May told my wife that I would be drugged and kidnapped,  I thought that was a bit extreme for a Brit who looked at least 65+ but she said it was the woman I had to worry about.  Next night I went to Mango with Fe and a friend stood amidst the too loud music and yelled TAKE ME, TAKE ME, alas no luck, maybe yours will be better.

As I was saying St. Marks is a good place,  easy access to both malls, Cebu Doctors Hospital, and many restaurants,  And if they do take you church is just across the street and confessions are heard daily.

Giid luck and have a great time..

• Like 1