Pickleball In The Philippines?

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Anyone familiar with the game? I hope to find some players or build a court and train some while there this time. We will be in Cebu City and spend time around Cagayan de Oro.

If you don't know the game and want to know what it is just search for "pickleball nationals video". Check a doubles match. Singles is to much running for an old cripple. [emoji12]

We usually play in Florida over the winter, but this year we are in the Philippines Nov 2015 through April 2016.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Have not seen it Greg, but there is a tennis sporting goods store in one of our local malls. If anyone knows they might, ill ask on our next trip

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've played "pickled" before. Not bad when playing with the ladies, but some of the fellas are too serious for the condition.

I find that describing it as "ping pong, but you get to stand on the table" works pretty good. Badminton sized court that you can easily make by adding lines on a tennis court. The net height is fine to play over.

-----From their site------

The Name

Pickleball has a very interesting name, especially since no pickles are used. Accounts of how the name originated differ. (1)According to Joel Pritchard’s wife (Joan), she started calling the game pickleball because “the combination of different sports reminded me of the pickle boat in crew where oarsmen were chosen from the leftovers of other boats”. (2) However, according to Barney McCallum, the game was officially named after the Prichards’ dog Pickles who would chase the ball and run off with it. According to McCallum, “The Pritchards had a dog named Pickles, and you’re having fun at a party, right? So anyways, what the hell, let’s just call it pickleball.”

Others claim both accounts may actually be true. In the early years, no official name was assigned to the game. However a year or two after the game was invented, the Pritchards purchased a cocker spaniel and named it Pickles. As the game progressed, an official name was needed and “pickleball” was it.

Continued Growth

Currently, the sport of pickleball is exploding in popularity. The number of places to play has nearly doubled since 2010. There are now well over 2,000 locations on the USAPA’s Places to Play map. The spread of the sport is attributed to its popularity within community centers, PE classes, YMCA facilities and retirement communities. The sport continues to grow worldwide as well with many new international clubs forming and national governing bodies now established in Canada and India.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Edited by GregZ
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Greg, went to 3 of the larger sporting goods shops at Mall of Asia. I asked about pickle ball. Naturally they all looked at me like I had something growing out of the middle of my fore head. No one had the slightest clue of what I was talking about.

As a double check I browsed through all their equipment. Lots of tennis rackets, badminton stuff, treadmills, basket and volleyball stuff. Nothing at all resembling the equipment needed for pickle ball. :cheersty:

• Like 2