Follow-Up Dr. Visit Yesterday

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Went for my follow-up visit to the surgeon yesterday ..... everything is good except he tells me I can't drive for 3 months .... sorry but I have never heard of such crap ..... I have checked on line and found some people drove after 2 weeks while most waited 30 days ..... now I did find where some states in the US have a law that says if you have ever fainted you can't drive for 6 months and that is not just for pacemakers that is for any reason ..... I have never fainted in my life that I know of ..... and I have never had chest pains ..... so not sure what the problem is ...... I didn't however like the way he put it when we asked he when we should schedule a return visit ..... he said "in 3 months ..... then I will decide if you can drive or not" .... WTF ...... today we go to the cardiologist and I will ask her ..... she had said 30 days before .... so we will see

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Went for my follow-up visit to the surgeon yesterday ..... everything is good except he tells me I can't drive for 3 months .... sorry but I have never heard of such crap ..... I have checked on line and found some people drove after 2 weeks while most waited 30 days ..... now I did find where some states in the US have a law that says if you have ever fainted you can't drive for 6 months and that is not just for pacemakers that is for any reason ..... I have never fainted in my life that I know of ..... and I have never had chest pains ..... so not sure what the problem is ...... I didn't however like the way he put it when we asked he when we should schedule a return visit ..... he said "in 3 months ..... then I will decide if you can drive or not" .... WTF ...... today we go to the cardiologist and I will ask her ..... she had said 30 days before .... so we will see

Mike, grieves me as it does, You are maybe Lucky in a 3 Months exception, When I had my Stroke in 2012, My License was Suspended. That is the Law in Europe.To get it back I have to go to the UK and have a full Medical and the Findings have to be Pretty Sound for me to get it Back. My Spanish License will not be renewed either till a medical Exam. All DOT's in Europe seem to be inter linked now. They knew in Spain I had suffered a Stroke and was Suspended.

Best of Luck but mate don't rush things. :thumbsup:  

Jack  :)

Morning All post-2148-0-92088800-1445906008.gif

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Jack ... I'm glad I have my Phils drivers license and not sure if they have any type of restrictions here or not ..... I know in the US if you have ever passed out for any reason and was treated by a Dr. he is required by law to report this to the proper authorities and your license will be suspended for the proper length of time until such time as you are pronounced fit to dive again ..... this of course is for those states that require it .... not sure it is so sophisticated here ..... at least I hope not ..... as some may feel I am a danger to them if I drive they should remember that anyone at any time can suffer a heart attack ..... stroke or pass out at any age with no prior warning .... I certainty had no idea my heart rate could drop so low if I hadn't taken my blood pressure as I had no symptoms or experienced any dizziness .... chest pains or other symptoms .... I was just lucky I guess or someone was looking out for me ..... :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Following back surgery, my doctor in the USA told me not to driver for several weeks.  I was surprised at the time length and asked him why. He explained that part of the healing process is the natural tendency of the body to avoid any quick moves that could cause pain.  The result is that the quick reflex/action required to avoid an accident may be absent even if you are feeling better.  He also said that being involved in a collision type accident can cause extensive damage to a body that is not completely healed from surgery.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
he tells me I can't drive for 3 months

Notice he did not say "you are not permitted to drive".   :hystery:   Perhaps he was following you in traffic.  :hystery:   Just joking Mike.  I'm sure you can drive just fine and its not like someone is going to pull you over and ask to see your license.  :tiphat:

• Like 4

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

he tells me I can't drive for 3 months

I'm sure you can drive just fine and its not like someone is going to pull you over and ask to see your license.  :tiphat:

Well as long as it's not meal time you should be ok :no:

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Yup must agree with other posters, no point in rushing anything Mike. You have come through this situation extremely well, now time to rest up a bit and back to full health.

Some good books, no doubt light exercise and very soon behind the wheel again. Best follow the doc.....

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I found this bit of info. Oh also I found you can resume sexual activities after 2 weeks.   :-kiss:

Driving
As a general rule you should not drive for at least 2 weeks following the implantation of your pacemaker. Again, this is to ensure that the leads have had time to become fixed into position. It is important that you abide by your surgeon's instructions about when you can return to driving as there maybe legal implications if you have an accident even if you are not the driver at fault.

But another advice here.

How soon can I drive? 

If you have an ordinary driving licence, you can start driving again after one week, as long as:

you do not have any symptoms, such as dizziness or fainting, that would affect your driving
you have regular check-ups in the pacemaker clinic
you have not recently had a heart attack or heart surgery
Inform driving licence issuer and your insurance company that you have a pacemaker.

If you drive a large or passenger-carrying vehicle, you will have to wait six weeks after your pacemaker is fitted before driving again.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted
I found this bit of info. Oh also I found you can resume sexual activities after 2 weeks. :-kiss:

:kidding:   We didn't wait that long ..... had to make sure everything still worked ..... :thumbs-up-smile: :nudie: 

• Like 1