Where Do You Live

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Driving around Wiltshire and stopping of in some beautiful places , the houses most are made with thatch roofs , Anyway the next minute Ems blurts out , they just look like nippa huts , :no:

• Like 3

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted

There isn't a single thatched roof in my neighborhood. Of course, we drove out the natives centuries ago. Now, North-East Pennsylvania is a haven for tarred roofs:

post-5148-0-40440200-1447301124_thumb.jp

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

There isn't a single thatched roof in my neighborhood. Of course, we drove out the natives centuries ago. Now, North-East Pennsylvania is a haven for tarred roofs:

What a pity, spoiling History, This on is centuries old. To Slate it would just Ruin it.

post-2148-0-41979400-1447302891_thumb.jp  Anne Hathaway ( Shakespeare's wife) Cottage circa: 15th century.

History is History and we Got plenty in the UK ( Hope it is never spoiled by Progress)

Jack

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 4

fred
Posted
Posted

One of my customers booked a thatcher to replace his cottage roof.. He had to wait in line for 2 years!!  Good work if you know how to do it.. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

One of my customers booked a thatcher to replace his cottage roof.. He had to wait in line for 2 years!!  Good work if you know how to do it.. 

Ah! hit on the head, One of Maggie Thatchers big mistakes (Pun in the name intended of course) in the UK, Apprenticeships all but Died out.

A  10/20 year gap in Training has left a Big hole in Qualified men. Thatchers are among the Top, yet in Great demand. They say a Thatched roof is good for about 20/30 years if done properly. So the work is there.

Jack :)