Watch Your Luggage

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

My wife seems to buy new cases everytime we travel.

So when she requested me to buy yet another new case I asked why?

To my shock and surprise, she said because I dont want to use any case with

a outer pocket!

I said surely we have enough suitcases to last a life time.

Yes it's true but I don't want anyone putting "Bullet's" in my luggage :unsure:

It would appear that some staff have been caught placing ammunition

( for some kind of gain) into unsuspecting passengers luggage.

Anyone heard this story?

Apparently being shown in video on FB, to which I'm not a subscriber.

although I have watched the video.

• Like 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

There's a long and troubled thread on that topic.

http://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/23596-bullet-scam-angered-philippine-legislators/

I seems to have been a problem only at the airport in Manila. Some people are wrapping their luggage in shrink-wrap as a preventive measure.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

The safeguard of your luggages is all about being travel smart and having presence of mind, especially within a foreign airport terminal. Although I have never used them yet, these latest safeguards (TSA luggage locks) should give you a peace of mind when travelling through multiple layovers.  

While TSA-approved locks might be more expensive than traditional suitcase locks, you will save money if your case is chosen for a more thorough inspection. If you have a traditional lock on your suitcase, it will be cut off and discarded. Not only will you lose your lock, your case also will be unguarded and open to theft from any unscrupulous people who might come in contact with your bags. After the inspection is finished, the agent will securely lock the bag and send it to be loaded onto the plane.  http://getawaytips.azcentral.com/tsa-lock-work-3946.html

post-686-0-03828900-1447276581_thumb.jpg

10 bucks for a pair at Amazon 

post-686-0-88605900-1447276548_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jake
  • Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I always use the shrink wrap when travelling. Not only safer regarding interference with luggage but also helps prevent damage to case as it is being thrown about. This is done at the airport and costs £10.50 per item.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

This story was well published and apparently there have been arrests at Manila airport,so may be a case of shutting the gate after the horse has bolted!  Sad state of affairs when you think about it!

• Like 2

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted

This scam seems to have occured at other airports as well, not just Manila. Recent cases at Davao and Cebu.

I also use the TSA locks referred to by Jake. My concern now is that any scammer at the airport could have a set of keys and open your bag and place something inside. Shrink wrap, if available seems a good idea.

Ken

• Like 3

Lou49
Posted
Posted (edited)
post-3362-0-96089900-1447380113_thumb.jp

post-3362-0-96089900-1447380113_thumb.jp

Edited by Lou49
  • Like 2