Emergency Message For U.s. Citizens: Worldwide Travel Alert

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

dos_image.jpg

U.S. Embassy, Manila, Philippines

Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens:  Worldwide Travel Alert

November 24, 2015

THE EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES IS TRANSMITTING THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AS A PUBLIC SERVICE TO U.S. CITIZENS IN THE PHILIPPINES.  PLEASE DISSEMINATE THIS MESSAGE TO ALL U.S. CITIZENS IN YOUR ORGANIZATION OR NEIGHBORHOOD.  THANK YOU.

The State Department alerts U.S. citizens to possible risks of travel due to increased terrorist threats.  Current information suggests that ISIL (aka Da’esh), al-Qa’ida, Boko Haram, and other terrorist groups continue to plan terrorist attacks in multiple regions.  These attacks may employ a wide variety of tactics, using conventional and non-conventional weapons and targeting both official and private interests.  This Travel Alert expires on February 24, 2016.

Authorities believe the likelihood of terror attacks will continue as members of ISIL/Da’esh return from Syria and Iraq.  Additionally, there is a continuing threat from unaffiliated persons planning attacks inspired by major terrorist organizations but conducted on an individual basis.  Extremists have targeted large sporting events, theatres, open markets, and aviation services.  In the past year, there have been multiple attacks in France, Nigeria, Denmark, Turkey, and Mali.  ISIL/Da’esh has claimed responsibility for the bombing of a Russian airliner in Egypt.

U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using transportation.  Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid large crowds or crowded places.  Exercise particular caution during the holiday season and at holiday festivals or events.  U.S. citizens should monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.  Persons with specific safety concerns should contact local law enforcement authorities who are responsible for the safety and security of all visitors to their host country.  U.S. citizens should:

• Follow the instructions of local authorities.  Monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.
  • Be prepared for additional security screening and unexpected disruptions.
  • Stay in touch with your family members and ensure they know how to reach you in the event of an emergency.
  • Register in our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

Foreign governments have taken action to guard against terrorist attacks, and some have made official declarations regarding heightened threat conditions.  Authorities continue to conduct raids and disrupt terror plots.  We continue to work closely with our allies on the threat from international terrorism.  Information is routinely shared between the United States and our key partners in order to disrupt terrorist plotting, identify and take action against potential operatives, and strengthen our defenses against potential threats.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Philippines Country Specific Information. 

Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.  

Contact the U.S. Embassy in Manila, Philippines, located at 1201 Roxas Boulevard, at +(63) (2) 301-2000, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(63) (2) 301-2000. 

Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). 

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

chris49
Posted
Posted

Anybody who needs to be told this isn't smart enough to be allowed to travel on their own anyway.

Yes really. For how many years have they been putting those out and merely changing the names.

A good example would be the Moro Islam strongholds in Sth Philippines. Whoever goes there? Usually some journalist doing investigative work, and getting kidnapped.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Yes really. For how many years have they been putting those out and merely changing the names.

I tend to think all Embassy's do it This  is called job justification.

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Anybody who needs to be told this isn't smart enough to be allowed to travel on their own anyway.

Ahh, yes, David. Also thought there's a few folks who might be planning their maiden voyage to the Philippines. Who knows?...maybe their girl on line is from Zambo or Cotabato and they don't know this place from Shanghai in terms of safety. All they know is "This is my first trip abroad-I can't wait to see her".... (actually happened to me several years back...). Anyway, if they stumble upon this travel warning James put up, it just may be helpful fro just them in asking more questions as to where they are going-especially if they are not (Int'l) travel savvy.

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

I agree with Hey Steve,

Lots of people who visit Philippines for the first time should be aware of where the risks are.

If you require more information on a particular area, usually this can be found on Government web sites.

My Wife is Mindanao at the moment visiting family, there are certain places I would avoid if I was with her on this trip and would certainly be keeping a low profile with the possible involvement in Syria being talk about in Parlement here in UK.

• Like 2

Vince Runza
Posted
Posted

post-5148-0-20883200-1448654276_thumb.jp

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Until I had a thing called a divorce, i travelled quite extensively and loved every minute of it.  Many were to places where the Australian Government had issued 'travel warnings'.  Indeed now where I currently live, there is a similar warning because the country is under military rule following their 'coup' (which really  means they walk into the Parliament and say 'this is a coup' please go home and the pollies promptly comply!

When we travelled, we were careful not to go to 'trouble spots' and used common sense (often not very common).  But to say I would not go to a country because of a 'travel warning' is never consideration.  However, I would not currently plan a trip to Iraq, Siria, Ukrain, etc. but certainly would never discount a trip to Philippines which we did recently.  If I had the resources, I have always wanted to go back to Egypt and see the restorations that were underway when I went there many years ago.  The greatest travel experience of my life.

But that will not occur regrettably, as the bank account is saying NO! I would not go to Zamboanga for a holiday of course.

Its all about balance and common sense.  Alas what a poor state the world is in, if you want to get depressed, watch the daily news.

• Like 3