Australians In The Philippines-Ato Problems

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

For Australians living in the PHilippines, have you had any problems with the ATO after you have left Australia?

The reason I am asking, is that I will be leaving Australia permantly next year and while I am certain all my affairs are in order I am curious as to the things I might have forgotten during the process.

Cheers,

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted

For Australians living in the PHilippines, have you had any problems with the ATO after you have left Australia?

The reason I am asking, is that I will be leaving Australia permantly next year and while I am certain all my affairs are in order I am curious as to the things I might have forgotten during the process.

Cheers,

Don't worry to much, the ATO will find you, I have been living in the PI for 2 years now and they are still sending me letters of demand for tax owed, how they work it out I have no idea,

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Thanks Frosty,

When I leave next year it will be permanently, so I am just thinking ahead for any loopholes.

The last thing I want is my children to get lumbered with any tax owed when I go.

Thanks,

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Thanks Frosty,

When I leave next year it will be permanently, so I am just thinking ahead for any loopholes.

The last thing I want is my children to get lumbered with any tax owed when I go.

Thanks,

Have you set up myGov so everything can be done online?

https://my.gov.au/mygov/content/html/about.html

• Like 1

Crocodile
Posted
Posted

Thanks Frosty,

Thanks,

Have you set up myGov so everything can be done online?

https://my.gov.au/mygov/content/html/about.html

Good advice.

Get on myGov.com.au

I have been lodging my tax returns on there for the last few years - it makes it all easy.

My experience with the ATO is all positive - and this is having travelled and lived in several Asian countries while being resided in Australia (including being a non-resident for a few years).

If you have any problems, call the ATO.  Discuss it NOW.  DO NOT WAIT.  If you procrastinate it only gets worse.  If you have tax to pay and it is fair, then pay it.  If you don't think it is right, then call them and discuss it.

• Like 1