Philippines Approves Dengue Vaccine

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
This might be a lifesaver? 

MANILA—Sanofi Pasteur, the vaccines division of France’s Sanofi SA, said Tuesday it secured approval to market its vaccine for dengue fever from the Philippines, the first country in Asia to do so and the second in the world after Mexico.

Mosquito-borne dengue fever is a major health issue in Asia, which bears 70% of the global disease burden. Globally, an estimated 400 million people are infected by dengue fever every year in 128 countries where the disease is endemic.

“Approval of Dengvaxia in the Philippines, following closely the first approval in Mexico, is further evidence of Sanofi Pasteur’s long-standing commitment to introduce this innovative new vaccine first in countries where dengue is a major public health threat,” said  Olivier Charmeil, president and chief executive of Sanofi Pasteur, in a statement.

The Philippines’ Food and Drug Administration approved Dengvaxia, tetravalent dengue vaccine, for the prevention of disease caused by all four dengue types in individuals from 9 to 45 years old living in endemic areas.

• Like 5

Mike S
Posted
Posted

If this vaccine really works it could definitely be a game changer for hundreds of people here in the Phils ..... but I am curious why other Asian countries haven't jumped on the band wagon and also the US as there have been cases of dengue there also ..... :merrychristmas:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I wonder what the cost will be.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

I wonder if they have tested it on monkeys yet.  Or maybe that violates PETA rules so they go straight to humans in 3rd world countries?

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

jon1
Posted
Posted

I just learned from my wife, that the son of a driver that we use has already used this vaccine when he contracted Dengue last month. It costed 1500p per shot, once a day for 6 days. By the 4th day he was feeling normal. 

But I am confused, I thought a vaccine was for pre-infection, not post?

jon1
Posted
Posted

I wonder if they have tested it on monkeys yet.  Or maybe that violates PETA rules so they go straight to humans in 3rd world countries?

The Monkeys in the Philippines are known carriers of Dengue... 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

There are Monkeys here?

jon1
Posted
Posted

There are Monkeys here?

Yes in the rural areas of the south and where I live in the Freeport they are protected and nuisance.....

earthdome
Posted
Posted

There are Monkeys here?

Yes in the rural areas of the south and where I live in the Freeport they are protected and nuisance.....

Saw some monkey's on Palawan at the entrance to the Underground River.

• Like 1