What Do You Prefer To Feed Your Pet Dogs Here?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I considered the topic of "dog food", but I had a strange feeling re what type of comments that would set off..... so....

Most ex-pats keep a dog or two or three around the property. Some of my friends have lap dogs that they pamper. Others keep guard dogs and canine sentries. I am one of the latter.... or perhaps I should say my wife is, since she was the one that got them and cooks, feeds, scoops,  washes down, controls  and moves them around. My job is to clip claws and brush them a bit while bankrolling their grub and vet needs when they arise.

They eat more than we do, quantity-wise, but since my wife dislikes of the high cost of commercial dog chow, she concocts and cooks up her own local recipe and gives them one good evening feeding after we finish our own supper. They are all fit with shinny coats and seem to thrive on it.

-More details to come later if there is an interest-

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

When I had a few dogs in the last place I lived at they all thrived on a diet of canned sardines and rice.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Our next door neighbor has a deal with the fish vendor in our local market and goes each night to collect the fish guts and other left overs .... she then cooks them with rice and puts the concoction over commercial dog food ..... all her dogs (6 now 1 died of old age) are healthy and in great shape ..... 3 labs ... 1 dachshund and 2 junkyard dogs ..... believe me no one comes down the street with out everyone knowing about it ..... our favorite died before Christmas .... a mutt that they had that we fed all our scraps to and he used to lay right outside our gate at night and kept everybody away .... he was 14 years old .... guess it was his time to go ..... :unsure:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

we have 3 dogs granny( Whitney )-daughter( Amaya ) and grandson( Arnie ), the grandson is the wifes pet she treats him like a  baby !! mind you he is a big dog which is why I call him the Monster !!

and as its new years eve, tonight she will sit on the settee with him covering his ears with a blanket !!

and I jest not !!

food wise the wife buys chicken liver and mixes it with rice and once a week we feed them tinned dog food.

they are all healthy and full of life.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I would have thought that dogs need red meat and big bones to chew on.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I considered the topic of "dog food", but I had a strange feeling re what type of comments that would set off..... so....

Most ex-pats keep a dog or two or three around the property. Some of my friends have lap dogs that they pamper. Others keep guard dogs and canine sentries. I am one of the latter.... or perhaps I should say my wife is, since she was the one that got them and cooks, feeds, scoops,  washes down, controls  and moves them around. My job is to clip claws and brush them a bit while bankrolling their grub and vet needs when they arise.

They eat more than we do, quantity-wise, but since my wife dislikes of the high cost of commercial dog chow, she concocts and cooks up her own local recipe and gives them one good evening feeding after we finish our own supper. They are all fit with shinny coats and seem to thrive on it.

You should not feed dogs cooked food.  This was the advice constantly given to me by the vet.

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

You should not feed dogs cooked food.  This was the advice constantly given to me by the vet.

Do you mean, 'You should not feed dogs AS cooked food' ?.... advice given by a Pinoy vet?

Most canned canine and feline food is pressure cooked during the canning process I thought. Dogs here are also often fed low grade rice and cracked corn, etc, which has to be cooked. Feel free to enlighten me on this.

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the research lead.  Yes. That's the advice most vets give, according to the article at <thewholedog.org>, since dogs have a short digestive tract that can deal with it and heating food destroys some of the amino acid chains and other vital nutrients. Heating food chemically changes it in many ways that are beneficial for omnivorous humans but not pure carnivores.

However the jury isn't unanimous. Other sites like <thebark.com> and <homemadedogfood.com> offer other reasoned opinions. Raw is what they are biologically designed for.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Hmmmmmmmmmm If things go on as they have been all day, my 4 will be fed lightly fried Local Urchin Tonight. No Respect for Fireworks, has created a few accidents around our Barangay.

On a Serious note, we give ours corn with Scrap meats ( They Love vegetables,) 2 or three times a Week, We do a Sawdust Mix from the Meat counter with whatever is about,

They have Dry Dog Food biscuits ( Good Boy) Regularly,and as many Bones as we can get for them, All are very healthy.

We try not to give Canned food but as a Treat, maybe every now and Then.

Jack :)

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Did I mention Fish? all 4 of mine love fresh Fish 

• Like 1