Spank A Child Or Verbal Discipline A Child, Land In Jail

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

:wt-hell: is the Philippines becoming? I sure know that I do not want to be around any children with stupid laws like this on the books. :angry: How many expats do you think will end up in jail over this one? This is one hell of a can of worms! :728: Now I know the world has gone insane. Criminalization of a wide range of punishments for kids being pushed :lmao: MANILA - A whole range of forms of physical and verbal abuse to discipline a child, including spanking that most Filipino parents have become accustomed to doing, will soon be grounds for the detention of guilty parents and for the suspension of their parental authority over their children.It intends to prohibit the use of physical force to reprimand children. The bill also deems illegal verbal assaults and placing children in degrading or humiliating situation to correct their behavior.Child rights advocates on Thursday claimed that corporal punishments have negative effects, contrary to the common belief that it would teach children to learn from their mistakes. Hope Tura of Plan Philippines said corporal punishments escalate as the child grows older.

Mik
Posted
Posted

Who will protect parents from government abuse? There is a difference between spanking and beating. Yes, beating a child is wrong. Children need correction and all children are different and what works for one will not work for another. Some kids need a spanking, for other kids just a word from father or mother will be enough. Children are unique and parents know better than the government how to raise them. The state should respect the family and this new law goes too far. Outlawing spanking will create a generation of undisciplined spoiled delinquents.Laws don't protect people anyway. There are laws against theft but there are still thieves. Education (church, school, government, etc.) and local community peer pressure are more effective at changing behavior. The government says briefly confining a child to his room is bad. So why is it not bad for the government to confine a parent in jail for a month?

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the US has had similar laws for years ..... it is called child abuse and another little tidbit .... a child CAN divorce its parents ..... and it has been done ...... I guess you have to draw a line as to where discipline ends and abuse begins ....... some of the examples are I'm sure individual cases and not the norm ........ so the next time a child begging for money sticks his hand in your pocket trying to steal money just smile sweetly and offer him your cash .... else you might find yourself in jail for child abuse ......

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

Many of the proponents of this stuff have never had children or at least never raised them. I had a discussion with my 2 year old grandson last night about throwing things at people. (He's a pretty good shot too) It consisted of me talking him wiggling and squirming and then pointing around the room and listing all the things he knew the names of. How much do you think he got out of what I said? As a matter of fact I am certain he is changing the subject on purpose. Or trying to make me laugh because then he knows he has diplomatic immunity. What they said about giving a child love and support is correct but often more is required. As was stated before children are different and different styles of discipline are needed. As far as kneeling on salt or stones I personally think that is not appropriate. As far as they said about swats progressing to beatings then perhaps fault does lie with the parents. If a punishment is ineffective then a different method should be tried not just stepping up the intensity. I spanked my son until I saw it did no good then I tried another approach. For him it turned out that sitting in a chair with no toys or TV was worse than any beating I could have ever given him. Parenting is a lot of work to do right and some people just do things the easy way instead of the most effective way. I received a number of spankings in my younger years at home and school. I will say looking back I never got one I didn't richly deserve. As a matter of fact I got away with a number of things I probably should have been spanked for. Spanking does have a place in discipline. Beating does not. If you can't tell the difference better you don't try it I guess. The most important thing is to be firm and fair and most of all consistent. Sorry so long.