Cost Of Cebu Hotels

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Been checking out the cost of Hotels in Cebu and seems the prices are on the ridiculous side. My old favorite the Montebello are wanting $180 a night. I think that's about double what I have paid before. Most hotels that appear half decent are in the high price range too. Looks like I will be renting a cardboard box.  :(

• Like 3

Crocodile
Posted
Posted (edited)

Can be date dependent.  When are you booking for.  Remember that Sinulog is later this month.  Also there is Chinese New Year and Easter are coming up.

Try Agoda for different hotels.

Edited by Crocodile
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Can be date dependent.  When are you booking for.  Remember that Sinulog is later this month.  Also there is Chinese New Year and Easter are coming up.

No I was looking at August but later for some reason in the Montebello case the price was lower but still on the expensive side as were a lot of others. Yes I was searching Agoda though the forums affiliate links. 

post-1-0-25688200-1451734720_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

For some reason, the hotel we've using twice a year in MNL upped their rates from P 1200/night to P 1500 about 18-24 months ago. Last time through it was upped again to P1800. 

We've known the owner, manager and unchanging Visayan staff for 9-10 years and are always given a P100/n discount since we're regulars (it doesn't hurt that my wife often brings the manager some of her favorite provincial candy as a small pasalubong).reasWife tells me that the BIR tax or land tax was increased.... reason given. 

I was a bit miffed by the rapid rise of 50% in so short of time when I don't see that much inflation elsewhere in the economy... at least not in my province, but when I started scanning the other hotels all over including those in my city, everyone was UP to that level. I wasn't being gouged, apparently. They were competitively priced at the new norm.

It was still unsettling since so much of the rest of the world has had low inflation, interest and growth rates. 

I know smokes and booze went up due to the 'sin tax' of a year or two ago. Guess inflation is always there, but jumps like this have been rare and I hope it doesn't continue. 

I'm glad fuel rates are down, but don't expect much of the cost decline to be passed on to consumers. Our food costs here where I live have been stable for a long time.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted

No I was looking at August but later for some reason in the Montebello case the price was lower but still on the expensive side as were a lot of others. Yes I was searching Agoda though the forums affiliate links. 

attachicon.gifsearch box forum.jpg

Welcome to the modern Philippines!  At least modern prices :)

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I was shocked how prices on hotels had gone up in Cebu when I visited last March. Up ~100% in many cases over four years.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Welp..there have been a lot of comments about the Philippines improving and taking advantage of the tourist industry to pull the country out of the dumps. This is what happens :th_unfair:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I'm leaning towards a condo for a month, 2 bedroom works out about $48 a night fully self contained but at this stage I do not know how long I will be staying. Might work out that I fly over Cebu and not land, just wave out the window and continue home.  :)  Thanks for the recommendation. 

• Like 4

putidako
Posted
Posted

The Philippines'reputation for having poor value-for-money accommodation is fully deserved, and I am sure it is one of the reasons so few tourists come here compared to neighbouring countries. There are good deals out there - even in Cebu city, which is one of the worst places. But you have to look for them.