The Medical City Clinic

Bellacissa
Posted
Posted

Anyone have a review (good, bad or indifferent) for the chain of Medical City clinics? There's one in the mall in Marikina that I'm thinking about trying.

I think I have locked shoulder syndrome. Not an emergency, but not something I can ignore either.

I have overseas coverage on my medical insurance, but it's reimbursement, so I pay out of pocket at first. Does anyone know what the going rate for a basic office visit is in this area?

I'm open to recommendations for other clinics as well.

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Anyone have a review (good, bad or indifferent) for the chain of Medical City clinics? There's one in the mall in Marikina that I'm thinking about trying.

I think I have locked shoulder syndrome. Not an emergency, but not something I can ignore either.

I have overseas coverage on my medical insurance, but it's reimbursement, so I pay out of pocket at first. Does anyone know what the going rate for a basic office visit is in this area?

I'm open to recommendations for other clinics as well.

Yes they have such outlets, satellite clinics or sub clinic in plenty of malls.

Locked shoulder or frozen shoulder. Which means in essence you could not raise your arm above your head or perform tasks at the upper level without pain.

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION,  based on 2 previous incidents, the whole Medical City referral thing is a big money rip off.

Before going so high as to consult an orthopedist, who will ask for X Rays and Scans, even an MRI, before telling you "Maam your shoulder is indeed frozen", you need physiotherapy.

I would scout around looking for a physiotherapist first, and work from that angle. Pressure point massage relax the nerves around the area and get the shoulder moving. If that was not successful I would look for an orthopedist. Look at University of Sta Thomas Medical Clinic and ask for a physio, that might be a good start. UST is a teaching hospital and doesn't charge exorbitant prices.You could see or orthopedist there also.

Sorry I don't know one but maybe someone else would know.

Edited by chris49

jpbago
Posted
Posted

I would not bother with either a clinic nor with physio. I had a frozen shoulder once from a bicycle accident, I went to my doc, he sent me to physio, physio gave me some exercises to do. After 3 physios, I saw that I could do those same exercises in my condo gym so that is what I did and here I am now.

Your condo likely has a gym so do light pulleys as far to pain, graduating up. It's frozen, not broken, you have to get it moving.

chris49
Posted
Posted
I would not bother with either a clinic nor with physio

I think a good physiotherapist could do a bit more and would be worth a few visits.

I worked with a patient (who was an Ambassador), who incurred a slight tear in his rotator cuff while trying to stow his bag in an overhead luggage rack. He was our patient, rushed into surgery by our orthodedist. Wound got infected, shoulder became permanently frozen.

Try the physio first.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I think a good physiotherapist could do a bit more and would be worth a few visits.

I think there are other options.  Some of the better massage therapists are good at working on shoulders.  I found one in Cebu many years ago and explained the problem with my shoulder and she worked on it until it was in great shape.  i saw her once a week for a year and I went from not being able to lift my arm above my shoulder to having full range of movement.

(My shoulder problem was an injury resulting from a motorcycle spill, in case that matters here.)

• Like 1

Bellacissa
Posted
Posted

I honestly don't know what the original injury was. I don't recall doing anything to it. It just started hurting one day. I tried to work it out in the pool and give it time, but I'm two months out and can't put my arm above my head or behind my back at all. Ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and tramadol have had little to no effect on the pain, so I'm ready to get a professional opinion.

I put off going to the doctor because I never found one in Pattaya that I was comfortable with and that spoke enough English to converse with me. I thought I might have better luck here.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into the teaching hospital and possibly a physiotherapist if need be. At least I have somewhere to start now. :)

Bellacissa
Posted
Posted

Oh, and I'll try massage as well. I'm always looking for a good excuse to give my husband as to why I "need" a massage. Now I have one!

• Like 3