Caring About & Protecting Our Investment (The House)

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Well Jack you are a caring environment person and I for one want the clean wall also, for when I get to sit and have a beer with 

you and admire the surroundings!

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

You can look around almost any city and see that most Filipinos do not care about keeping exterior walls clean, thus they don't envision how it is done.  They paint when new and it is usually downhill after that, with mold, mildew and air pollution collecting until it is black.

One of my first investments when we move into our new house will be a good power washer and I will do that work myself.  I always kind of enjoyed using them and watching the crud get washed off.  Very satisfying and you get wet and stay cool!   :)

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Better pay a little now to make things good rather then later, where you may have to replace.

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted

I must be secretly Filipino :) This is not something I normally do at my home in the US. 

The only time I took a power washer to the outside of the home I was so meticulous, happily driving water into every crack and crevice that I drove the water under the foundation soaking the ceiling of the basement. Since property values have gone up considerably in my neighborhood and my house is now worth real money, the last thing I want to do is clean it again :)

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I must be secretly Filipino :) This is not something I normally do at my home in the US. 

The only time I took a power washer to the outside of the home I was so meticulous, happily driving water into every crack and crevice that I drove the water under the foundation soaking the ceiling of the basement. Since property values have gone up considerably in my neighborhood and my house is now worth real money, the last thing I want to do is clean it again :)

In Florida where I have a house, the neighborhood associations enforce keeping everything clean, especially the roof.  If the old ladys can see some mold or mildew, you will get a letter.  I hire someone with a big trailer mounted unit when the roof needs it, and they do the whole house and sidewalks for around $150.

You do have to be careful or you can damage things with a good power washer.  If you have cheap and/or old paint, it can strip it.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
You do have to be careful or you can damage things with a good power washer.  If you have cheap and/or old paint, it can strip it.

Surely if this job is done on a rotational/regular Basis one would only need a low Pressure wash ie: High Pressure washer at reduced psi 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Surely if this job is done on a rotational/regular Basis one would only need a low Pressure wash ie: High Pressure washer at reduced psi 

Yes, and it also depends on if you use a soap solution.  I had good strong stucco and good thick paint on my Florida house, so I did not use soap and used high pressure.

• Like 1