Survived My Manila Drivers Training

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Well, at least as close as I have found in the US.  We made our first trip to NYC the past couple days and my wife said its as close to driving in Manila as she has seen anywhere in the US.  Its just less than 4 hours hours drive from my home but its the first time I drove inside NYC in my life.  Although it was not fun, it was not near as bad as I had expected.  Since we had plenty time and not rushed, it helped with all horn blowing, the squeezing, cut-offs, horn blowing, and yelling, pedestrians, and horn blowing, heavy traffic, stopping and waiting, horn blowing, and little parking, and some more horn blowing.  My wife said she felt just like in Manila except for the cold.  I think she only yelled at me twice,....a minute!  Just like Manila, most don't drive in their own lanes.  Seems like anything goes.  Thanks to the GPS we did not get lost.  It was not as intimidating as I had expected but I was so glad when we left.  Like I had thought, I did not loose anything in NYC and don't care if I ever return.  But not sure if that will be the case.  I'm just thankful for no tickets or accidents.  I guess it was some good training for Manila driving.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Was there any horn blowing?  :lol:

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Its good to know that Philippines is not the only country that cannot get its residents to obey traffic laws.   :36_6_3[1]:

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

You haven't lived until you find yourself sitting at a stoplight, 8 cars across on a 4 lane road - and the guy all the way right is making a left... 

• Like 4

intrepid
Posted
Posted

You haven't lived until you find yourself sitting at a stoplight, 8 cars across on a 4 lane road - and the guy all the way right is making a left... 

That was the condition when one of the times my wife yelled at me.  I was going straight in one of the center lanes and the guy on the far right cut across everyone to turn left.  There was police on the corners but traffic was just too heavy for them to stop the driver.  Saw a few times also where a police were directing traffic at intersections and pointed at the driver and me to stop before entering the intersection.  The guy beside me drove around the officer and kept going.  Traffic was slow and the officer could have walked and gave chase, but he let him go also! :89:.  Certainly a different world.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Danny,

As a retired law enforcement officer, you could have used the wang-wang method.  Very prevalent in Manila using the siren, lights and of course the horn.  Many wanna-be's think they are govt VIP driving around like their chit don't stink.  This upcoming election is already in full swing with many checkpoints, looking for loose firearms.  

Driving around Manila will teach you advanced offensive driving techniques, especially approaching a busy circle intersection.  Just close your eyes and gun it......he, he.  

• Like 2