47(A) 2 Visa - Exit Fees

Peter G
Posted
Posted

Hi All,

I've a 47(a) 2 visa.(special non immigrant) obtained by my employer for me, and non working wife.

On exit from country, I get stung for Immigration fees of PESO 2170 each time, as does my non working wife, as do kids of colleagues on the same visa type. .

According to searches, I've read that "Exemption from paying the fees can be obtained from Department of Justice on a discretionary basis".

Question - Have any expats applied and got the "Exemption fro paying the fees" - either for themselves or non working spouse / kids on the same visa type ?

On asking employer, I only get wide eyed blank expressions, thus am wondering if it is worth me pushing them to at least try and get the exemption ?

Cheers

https://pro-linkglobal.com/philippines-visaalert-47a2-visa-holders-no-longer-automatically-exempt-from-immigration-departure-fees/   

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Question - Have any expats applied and got the "Exemption fro paying the fees" - either for themselves or non working spouse / kids on the same visa type ?

I doubt it, but that's just my off-the-cuff opinion.  Foreigners are welcome in this country because they spend cash.  We don't qualify for too many exemptions.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
PESO 2170

Just the cost of doing business brother, for most of us who are here not working, its either Balakbayan visa and have to leave and return every 12 months, or continually renew a tourist visa. In our cases I would wager if we totaled up the costs it would probably be a wash.

In your case I would also wager that to get an exemption you would most likely need professional help (lawyer maybe) to apply for it, or the fees to apply for it would probably exceed the exit fee. Unless you travel a whole bunch I think the best thing to do is grin, bear it and put on a happy face.

Foreigners are welcome in this country because they spend cash [/quot

Dave has it right, I bet the BOI is the only government agency to show a profit lolol :hystery:

• Like 1