How Far To Live From A Hospital?

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Some of us are getting on in years, I am 61, and one of the things that helped me decide to buy our condo was the close proximity to hospitals and doctors, has anyone else thought about this before choosing where they decided to live in the Philippines? and secondly, were there any other reasons that made you choose where you live or want to live?

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

Proxcimity to medical facilities is definately on the list. I am not in bad health but it still needs to be considered. Other things to consider security, distance to shopping, distance from a major road. Lots more I am sure.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Those needs will depend on your situation or risk tolerance. Any of us could suddenly need emergency care and hospitalization. Generally only a few large cities have good hospitals. No city or town in Philippines has adequate emergency services (Fire, Aid-EMT and Police).Other things would be schools, family or climate. I think some of our members live in Bagio for the cooler weather. LOL

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Some of us are getting on in years, I am 61, and one of the things that helped me decide to buy our condo was the close proximity to hospitals and doctors, has anyone else thought about this before choosing where they decided to live in the Philippines? and secondly, were there any other reasons that made you choose where you live or want to live?
I never thought about hospitals when looking for a place to live. In the US it never occured to me and when I moved here, I didn't think of that before choosing a place. I wish that I had though. We're not too far from a hospital, but getting there is another story. It can take 20-30 minutes to get a taxi during the day and at night, there just aren't any. If we need to go to the hospital we'd have to rely on a neighbor for a ride. We live next door to my sister-in-law and she recently gave birth. Luckily, she had a cesarean delivery so was able to schedule it in advance. I don't know what she'd have done if she went in to labor in the middle of the night.As Old55 said, the main factor for me was weather. I always hated the weather in the Philippines but learned to deal with it. After my first trip to Baguio as a tourist, I knew this was the only place I'd been to that I could live.