Volcanoes In The Phils

chateauneuf
Posted
Posted

Which is the best volcano to visit in the Philippines and why.

Are there guided tours and how safe is it.

How many volcanoes are there altogether and how many are active.

I once visited one in Bali, and it was awesome and would like to re-create the experience.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I know there is one out of Subic that erupted in the 90's and  created a lot of havoc.  It englfed the US military base and caused wide

spread devastation.  My more learned  collegues will know more.

• Like 1

RonHenk
Posted
Posted

I once visited one in Bali, and it was awesome and would like to re-create the experience.

Probably the Mayan Volcano near Legazpi, Albay is one of the most popular. It is active. There are guided tours and you can rent an ATV to ride to the summit.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

There is one in Tagaytay. It sits in the middle of a big lake. I think it's Mt TAAL. I don't know if there are any trips available to go there. It is not far from Manila. I went there in a van provided by my hotel. Actually, it was one of the sights along the way. We viewed it from a nice restaurant overlooking the volcano and lake. 

There is Mt APO here in Davao. Davao is in Mindanao. There are hiking trips available. 

Being from California, I am used to earthquakes but that was then and this is now.  The Philippines is in The Ring of Fire as you probably know. There is a lot of seismic activity going on all the time here. Most is very slight and hardly noticeable but one never knows.  So, volcanoes are off limits for me.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

The Kanlaon Volcano in Negros Occidental is still smoking I believe .... started several months ago but no eruption ..... thank god

:cheersty:

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Probably the Mayan Volcano near Legazpi, Albay is one of the most popular. It is active. There are guided tours and you can rent an ATV to ride to the summit.

I would be most interested to hear about this.

having spent some time in Legazpi and climbed the Volcano I do not see any possibility of riding an ATV even close to the summit. 

There are ATVs running around the base of the mountain but even climbing to the summit was banned and very difficult. ( I believe still is)

To clarify its some years since I have been there and the situation may have changed how ever cannot imagine any way an ATV could possible get to the summit.

Any updates would be most appreciated. Thanks

The Kanlaon Volcano in Negros Occidental is still smoking I believe .... started several months ago but no eruption ..... thank god

:cheersty:

No longer belching steam how ever still a 4KM ban in place.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Mount Apo overlooks Davao city in Mindanao. I've yet to go there, so can't say much about it.

• Like 1

canadamale
Posted
Posted

I went to the Taal volcans 3 yrs ago there was 4 of us. 1500 peso for the boat ride the volcano then 1500 peso to rent 4 pony to ride to the summit and look down into the volcano bowl. The water is hot and steamy, very good view of Tagatay. While the guide spent the time flirting with the girls, his son and I took ponies and explored around. I told hum I thought 1500 peso was expensive his reply was. See those Koreans there we charge them 100 us a piece. So prices may vary. You can also walk to the volcano rim. Once you get to the top there is the usual t shirt/trinket sales and toy may purchase beer/water also

• Like 2