More Crime

Travis
Posted
Posted

if job loses continue I am concerned there will be more crime & more of us targeted for thefts, am I right?

TheMason
Posted
Posted
if job loses continue I am concerned there will be more crime & more of us targeted for thefts, am I right?
Crime usually increases when the economy is bad. The economy in the Philippines has always been bad though, so I'm not sure it will make a noticeable difference.

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted

Crime is everywhere, when we are in Florida we see news of many crimes too. Cebu is generally safe as long as foreigners do not show their wealth. Non Filipinos only need to understand that most workers only make p250 a day or less, so 1000 pesos can be a weeks pay for many and when you flash a roll of 1000 peso notes or wear something that cost 20 to 50,000 pesos the wheels in peoples brains start rolling.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I'm not so sure if Foreigners will be targeted however crime may go up slightly.

tim
Posted
Posted

I spent 3 weeks in the Robinson Mall area ..mango... and did not feel unsafe. I spent a lot of time walking and just kept a eye about myself. I always kept $ in several locations about me and had a throw a way wallet with several small pesos in it at all times. I walked straight and at a steady pace.I did not slow down for conversactions unless it was started by me. I did not stop for the beggers, the pill and sunglasses street venders, etc., just kept moving. Watch your body language while out. Do not stand out. Do not go to places that can cause problems. But enjoy yourself that is why you are there.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
I spent 3 weeks in the Robinson Mall area ..mango... and did not feel unsafe. I spent a lot of time walking and just kept a eye about myself. I always kept $ in several locations about me and had a throw a way wallet with several small pesos in it at all times. I walked straight and at a steady pace.I did not slow down for conversactions unless it was started by me. I did not stop for the beggers, the pill and sunglasses street venders, etc., just kept moving. Watch your body language while out. Do not stand out. Do not go to places that can cause problems. But enjoy yourself that is why you are there.
Great post Tim and some very wise words. The Philippines is safe as long as people use common sense like you did in what they do. No place in the world is totally safe and it is not really where we are as how we act and how knowledgeable we are of our surroundings, and that is why these forums are so useful, because those who did can tell others what mistakes not to make and what actually worked for them. I walk around Mango and the Robinson Mall area all the time and most times no one even talks to me, yet I have seen foreigners walk around like lost puppies and with frightened looks on their faces and they get bothered all the time. Edited by Mr. Lee