"nabubulok: di nabubulok"

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Different areas have different systems for refuse/trash/garbage disposal.

Where I live, there is a garbage truck that emits a sound one day a week for pick up. However, my wife usually burns our rubbish daily in an open pit. I tell her to segregate the batteries, toothpaste tubes etc, but to be honest.... I don't check on what she does. I think she burns practically everything, despite my effort to 'enlighten' her.

The first time I came across trash separation was at a resort where there were dual containers labeled. "nabubulok" and "di nabubulok". She explained to me that the first was for the biodegradables, and the second the non-degradables.

The first can be, and often is, burned. The second goes (hopefully) to a landfill or processing area.

FYI

Feel free to share your experiences in these matters, where ever you live. I am ignorant of how the waste streams are processed here, despite going past recovery wastesite on the edge of town.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

You are going to get a lot of answers on this but most will be about the same. Just my WAG. Anyway, here where we live it is away from the city. We put our trash into large plastic bags. Then on Tuesday and Friday an old guy comes along on his motorcycle  with his 2 young sons. They pick our bag or bags and toss them on a cart attached to the motorcycle. We pay 15 Pesos each day. Most people who live in my area do it this way. Others, just toss their trash along the road side. When it piles up, someone sets it on fire. This is how its done here. 

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I live in the city, our garbage goes through several phases. First of all it is picked up every day, at different times. If trash is on the corner and a truck goes buy they stop and pick it up.

Phase one: once the plastic bag is put on the corner, it is gone through by scavengers at least once. Everything of any value what so ever is usually taken. (including food scrapes)

Phase two: the trucks pick up the garbage and take it to a local city controlled recycle center, anything that is missed by the street people is taken and recycled there.

Phase three: trash is compacted put in bigger trucks and hauled out to you guys in the provinces to some land fill or other.

Few folks burn rubbish here, just leaves and such, maybe paper from time to time, but very few trash fires.  

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

When I lived in the city we had trash pickup - not very regularly. Was supposed to be 2 days a week, but were lucky if we got it one day. No telling what day it might be.  After I saw, and smelled, the huge dump, I was in favor of burning ha ha. 

Now that we are back out of the city (only 20 kilometers) there is no trash pickup. Everyone burns their trash.  I had thought about a compost pit but with all the dogs and chickens looking for food, it would be a mess.

• Like 2