Calling Collect To The U.S.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Does anyone know if it is possible to call collect from the Philippines, especially from a Globe landline?  I can't figure out how and Globe is not answering their phone.  Does Globe have operator assistance?

My U.S. banks often give me numbers that I can call collect, but so far I have not been able to use them.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

I downloaded the Google app "Hangouts Dialer", connect my phone to wifi and call any number in the States for free.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

I downloaded the Google app "Hangouts Dialer", connect my phone to wifi and call any number in the States for free.

Sounds great if my slow internet will handle it!

One thing we have noticed is that our internet works better on our phones than it does on our desktop and laptops.  I think this is due to the smaller files used on the mobile devices???  I can usually watch a video on my phone that will not play on my desktop.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

One thing we have noticed is that our internet works better on our phones than it does on our desktop and laptops.  I think this is due to the smaller files used on the mobile devices???  I can usually watch a video on my phone that will not play on my desktop.

Funny this should come up as Both my daughter and my Wife say that they use the Phone for FB as it is better.

Good for me as I get extra time on my PC :whistling:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Does anyone know if it is possible to call collect from the Philippines, especially from a Globe landline?  I can't figure out how and Globe is not answering their phone.  Does Globe have operator assistance?

Never thought about it, I usually make a quick Call or text to my bank or Who ever offer Collect numbers and get them to ring back. I am sure this would be cheaper for them than a Collect call which is usually at a premium But then I am a Brit :cool:

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Sounds great if my slow internet will handle it!

You might try a speedtest on your mobile phone. OOKLA make an app for just about any phone. You could very well have mobile data speeds greater than your cable provider is giving you.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, robert k said:

You might try a speedtest on your mobile phone. OOKLA make an app for just about any phone. You could very well have mobile data speeds greater than your cable provider is giving you.

I have never really used mobile data on my phone but I probably will in the future.  I also have a bad Sun signal here so yesterday I drove and parked near the cell tower to call my bank!

I'm going to look into data plans after we move.  Sometime in the future I am going to install security cameras at the house that I can monitor on my phone, so I will need a data plan.