Lets go to a restaurant.... and bring our own food.

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

I witnessed this a few years ago, then a few weeks ago, and then.... twice today. Is it an anomaly?.... or is this more common than I thought. To wit: people bringing (some) their own food to eateries? Some places have signs regulating or prohibiting it, but many don't and it always catches me by surprise when I witness it.

What's going on? Anyone have a clue to enlighten me? Signed, 'perplexed & confused', well beyond 'corkage fees'.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I didn't bring my own food but once or twice I have gone down the street to get a 1 liter coke when Mang Inasal was out and they didn't say anything. I was perfectly willing to buy theirs but they were out, had been out for days and weren't inclined to do anything about it so I made a work around. The workers didn't bat an eyelash.:thumbsup:

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I know an expat here who eats brown rice, not white. When they go out to eat (anywhere) he brings his own rice. 

Quite often (only at fast food joints) we want different food.  My wife may go to Binalot and I will bring pizza with me, from next door.  Or we will go to Greenwich, and the nephew brings Jollibee.   I have seen that a lot here.  The kids and I did it in the US as well.

I have never done it anywhere with full table service, though.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

53 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Quite often (only at fast food joints) we want different food.  My wife may go to Binalot and I will bring pizza with me, from next door.  Or we will go to Greenwich, and the nephew brings Jollibee. 

I believe that Jollibee, Greenwich and Chow king are all the same Group and actually encourage this

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have heard they are the same company - so they lose no money in it :)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I know a retired expat who brings his own water to a certain restaurant because he is living on a "less than US$1,000" a month budget and he wants to socialize with his friends.  What really seems strange is when he runs out of water and asks the waitress for refill of service water . . . . . .  and then complains about the poor service :hystery:

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

What's going on? Anyone have a clue to enlighten me?

My opinion from general overall observation? I think it is a societal thing that seem prevalent. Not good or bad, just the way things are.

If you notice folk do things they want to until someone tells them they can't. Double parking, littering, jaywalking, counter flow traffic, burning trash, BRINGING FOOD to resta:hystery:urants, cutting in line, placing "do not park" on public streets, vendors on sidewalks and even in traffic lanes, building "homes" on others property. In other words "if it feels good, do it", until your told you cant.

My personal example of food is my in laws invited us to lunch at the local mall. I expected a sit down meal. We met them in the food court, two tables pushed together the whole family sitting there. We arrived and my Sister in law pulled out a bunch of Tupperware containers. I personally felt very uncomfortable, they just acted like they were at home.

IMHO, this type of societal behavior, among others, is just something we have to adjust to, NO WAY are we going to influence anyone but those very close to us. :cheersty:

• Like 4

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Excellent analysis. I enjoyed reading that. 

The thing I find so fascinating about this culture is the co-existing extremes, both ultra-conservative and  ultra-liberal that you find. Sort of bi-polar. The tolerances and intolerances are most unique when compared to those of western countries. Makes for an interesting life here, full of new surprises no matter how long you've been hanging your hat on the bamboo peg. 

Western multi-cultural advocates would do well to live abroad for several years in several countries before preaching 'we-are-all-alike'.:89: