Glucometers in Philippines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

For those who are coming from a developed country and have any diabetes condition that requires checking your blood sugar, get a quality meter before you come and get plenty of strips.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with Philippine glucometers.  In addition, testing strips for a quality machine are very hard to come by (I haven't found any available strips for imported glucometers but there may be some).  The local testing strips for the local machines are expensive and inaccurate.

How inaccurate?  Well its hit and miss and even a stopped clock is right twice a day, but lets take this morning:  My glucose measurement was 125.  That seemed high and did not 'feel' right.  So I tested 30 seconds later, same machine with a new strip and it measured 110.  Which one was right?  I have no idea if either of them were but I need to take certain amounts of medication when my blood sugar climbs over 100 and knowing exactly what the measurement is indicates how much I should take.

Be aware of this.  My last machine was bought in Canada and I brought it here with enough strips to last a year but they are gone now.  I will get another one next trip..When I had that machine I tested and compared to tests from a Philippine glucometer.  The results were seldom similar.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hey Dave and anyone else who is diabetic ..... here is a great article that may explain a lot about blood tests and glucometers ...

http://www.healthline.com/diabetesmine/why-meters-cant-tell-us-our-blood-sugar-levels#1

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike S said:

Hey Dave and anyone else who is diabetic ..... here is a great article that may explain a lot about blood tests and glucometers ...

http://www.healthline.com/diabetesmine/why-meters-cant-tell-us-our-blood-sugar-levels#1

Thanks Dave, a very good and interesting article. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Mike S said:

And what ever you do DON'T stick your finger in to the beer bottle to wash it before taking your blood sample

Dang, should have read this part before washing my finger with alcohol . . . it said I am over .08   :56da64a413b01_3_12_311:

Just kidding.  All good advice and information and my reading is back where I expected it to be this morning.

• Like 1