That Expat May Not Really Be Helping You

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I have heard this was being done in the past, but this is the first time a news organization confirmed it in the papers and actually listed the Americans name. What the hell is wrong with the police releasing the names of people assisting them to make the Philippines a better place. Would you help if you knew your name might be released? (The Freeman) Updated September 08, 2009 12:00 AM CEBU, Philippines - A 19-year-old man is facing charges for qualified trafficking of persons in court for peddling the services of three girls, including two minors, to American customers.Prosecutors filed the case against Amad Agujar who was arrested in an entrapment operation on August 26 at a hotel along F. Ramos Street. No bail was recommended for Agujar

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Frankly putting oneself in a decoy position with any Filipino Police agency is foolish to the extreme. The International Justice Mission seems to be affiliated with some of the more prestigious Western Universities. My guess is those Americans are students

TheMason
Posted
Posted
I have heard this was being done in the past, but this is the first time a news organization confirmed it in the papers and actually listed the Americans name. What the hell is wrong with the police releasing the names of people assisting them to make the Philippines a better place. Would you help if you knew your name might be released?
This is just a guess on my part, but since they named one of the people and not the other 2, he probably agreed to let them use his name. Personally, I would have serious reservations about getting involved with a PNP sting operation whether my name would be released or not. I'd be too concerned about getting stung myself.And what the hell is up with the 20,000 peso price? I know foreigners tend to over pay, but 20,000? You'd think the price alone would have raised an alarm with the pimp, but I guess he had visions of a big payday in his eyes.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I have heard this was being done in the past, but this is the first time a news organization confirmed it in the papers and actually listed the Americans name. What the hell is wrong with the police releasing the names of people assisting them to make the Philippines a better place. Would you help if you knew your name might be released?
This is just a guess on my part, but since they named one of the people and not the other 2, he probably agreed to let them use his name. Personally, I would have serious reservations about getting involved with a PNP sting operation whether my name would be released or not. I'd be too concerned about getting stung myself.And what the hell is up with the 20,000 peso price? I know foreigners tend to over pay, but 20,000? You'd think the price alone would have raised an alarm with the pimp, but I guess he had visions of a big payday in his eyes.
I would say the price was high because 2 of the girls were apparently minors. Anyway one would need to be careful to help in a sting operation like that,could have ended badly with the Americans in jail as accused with being with a minor and needing to pay a large sum for release.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
The Pimp was probably selling them as virgins. Who knows how many times he did that. Glad they got him hope they keep him in jail.