Our trip to Iloilo

mogo51
Posted
Posted

The SO and I will leave Iloilo tomorrow after 5 days.  We were fortunate to meet members Sander and Tim, plus Sander's lovely fiancee Ann.  They made us feel so very welcome and we spent a couple of days discovering parts of Iloilo with them.

We were also thankful for some very valuable information that they  passed on. Their time and companionship was greatly appreciated.  Sander has just become a Dad and he has a lovely son. My SO and Ann got on really well.

As to whether Iloilo is the place for us, we will discuss further when we return to Thailand.  from my observations and research whilst here, it appears to me that the cost of living in Phils is greater than I anticipated, with several costs very concerning, in particular Visa costs compared to Thailand.  But we will consider all of what we have discovered on this trip. Tomorrow we head for Bacolod just for the day and then Dumaguete to catch up with other Forum members.

I think my experiences with members of the forum that have taken the time to spend with us, really shows the strength and friendship that is gathered on this forum.  I am so very appreciative of being able to be a member with such great people.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Nice meeting you.  Sorry my wife is so anti-social... I am trying to work on that... but not going well. ha ha

Good luck on your search.  I would liked to have looked around more before settling on an island, but she was not willing to go too far from her family.  Luckily I am happy enough in Iloilo. Like I said, I describe Iloilo the same way I describe Dallas, TX... "nice place to live, but I would not want to visit."  There is no major draw here, except a nice, friendly town. I think a nice beach would not be too much to ask for. :tiphat:

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, mogo51 said:

The SO and I will leave Iloilo tomorrow after 5 days.  We were fortunate to meet members Sander and Tim, plus Sander's lovely fiancee Ann.  They made us feel so very welcome and we spent a couple of days discovering parts of Iloilo with them.

We were also thankful for some very valuable information that they  passed on. Their time and companionship was greatly appreciated.  Sander has just become a Dad and he has a lovely son. My SO and Ann got on really well.

As to whether Iloilo is the place for us, we will discuss further when we return to Thailand.  from my observations and research whilst here, it appears to me that the cost of living in Phils is greater than I anticipated, with several costs very concerning, in particular Visa costs compared to Thailand.  But we will consider all of what we have discovered on this trip. Tomorrow we head for Bacolod just for the day and then Dumaguete to catch up with other Forum members.

I think my experiences with members of the forum that have taken the time to spend with us, really shows the strength and friendship that is gathered on this forum.  I am so very appreciative of being able to be a member with such great people.

I think Ron, based on our earlier contact and all your updates.

To get the lower cost of living in the Philippines you have to go more remote. When you do that, you are cutting yourself off from other ex pats and many of the ammenties you are used to.

Good luck with your search. Sounds like fun, your trip so far.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Triple LIKE Mogo!

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, chris49 said:

I think Ron, based on our earlier contact and all your updates.

To get the lower cost of living in the Philippines you have to go more remote. When you do that, you are cutting yourself off from other ex pats and many of the ammenties you are used to.

Good luck with your search. Sounds like fun, your trip so far.

Yes Chris, I understand what you are saying, I have to try and strike a happy medium I think.  

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

It was great meeting you Ron and Tim (and Rons lovely wife). Was great to get out of the house for a little bit. Never know, might do a overnight trip to Pattaya on our way thru Bangkok to catch up.

Oh btw Tim, Mango Festival is starting on the 11th of this month in Guimaras if your interested. I know ill be visiting it.

If any other members plan a day trip to Guimaras, then skip the land tour. Its kinda crap with nothing to see (unless your religious and want to see "Jesus Park" with concrete statues of the bible). Better off going to a resort for a day. Mango Pizza place is well worth the stop as all of us loved it.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Sander Martin said:

It was great meeting you Ron and Tim (and Rons lovely wife). Was great to get out of the house for a little bit. Never know, might do a overnight trip to Pattaya on our way thru Bangkok to catch up.

Oh btw Tim, Mango Festival is starting on the 11th of this month in Guimaras if your interested. I know ill be visiting it.

If any other members plan a day trip to Guimaras, then skip the land tour. Its kinda crap with nothing to see (unless your religious and want to see "Jesus Park" with concrete statues of the bible). Better off going to a resort for a day. Mango Pizza place is well worth the stop as all of us loved it.

Oh God forgive him, he know not what he says!! Yes the Jesus thing aside it was ok, the mango pizza was indeed great, we had to battle with Sander though before he scoffed it all??

But it was a great day out and the mangos this morning were fantastic for breakfast.

• Like 3

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Oh God forgive him, he know not what he says!! Yes the Jesus thing aside it was ok, the mango pizza was indeed great, we had to battle with Sander though before he scoffed it all??

But it was a great day out and the mangos this morning were fantastic for breakfast.

All lies. The pizza was devided in half and the only one i stole off was Anne (shes almost half my size so she doesn't need as much anyway). :hystery::hystery::hystery:

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Sander Martin said:

All lies. The pizza was devided in half and the only one i stole off was Anne (shes almost half my size so she doesn't need as much anyway). :hystery::hystery::hystery:

Yes I admit I was giving you a verbal!!! (Police talk  for a false confession)