Free Government Health Care-Update.

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)

Always keep in mind that the same Doctors who work for the government also work in private hospitals and clinics during their off time. Not in St Lukes and the Tertiary Care centers, but generally this does apply.

I have a medical background, it's easier for me.

I have cut down my biking due to the 95 degree heat, but Wednesday I decided to make a run down to Vigan for a few errands. My decision, I would ride down, Gina could stay home. If got fiercely hot around 11 AM as I set off for home. Had a back pack carrying about 5kg=10 lbs of items. I filled up 3 water bottles and had a frozen coke before I left Vigan.

I really felt it....14 km one way, 28 round trip plus 4 km for the run around Vigan. Had to stop 3 times but made it home, mostly feeling the weight of the back pack. I consumed all the water, and Gina was right on the ball with a litre of cold Royal as soon as I got home.

Had to lie down and no appetite all day. But I came around by evening, slept all night but by AM the asthma was present, so quickly took a nebulizer, which wasn't working well, so I removed the mouthpiece and took the whole inhalation directly. First mistake. Ventolin will cause tremors, but we had a trip to the market, me and Caity aged 3 left in 711, while Gina did the shopping. The tremors came on and I couldn't hold the drink cup and pretty soon I'm shivering. Caity was concerned but she was ok, I told her "Daddy's cold". Txt and called Gina she came right over. A few of the staff and customers did look concerned. I checked my own pulse it was irregular. We got the suggestion to go to the Free Govt Health Center which was 50 metres from 711, but tucked away behind the building as an annex to City Hall. We did not know it was there.

Got in there, outside actually and saw maybe 20 patients ahead of us, and some inside, not sure how many, some were probably not patients. So went in, and read the sign, Triage Area. Then overhead, Emergency Room, with an arrow. I told Gina keep walking and we went directly to ER. Told the Dr. I think I have an emergency, she took me straight in. Then I told her about the Ventolin and she immediately nodded, and sent me in to lie down. Nurse was someone we know from the neighbourhood, not directly but she knows us. Rx...lie down for 30-60 mins until the symptoms (overdose/reaction to Ventolin) go away. No registration, no Dr's orders just the nurse to observe me 1:1. After a while sent Gina back to the market to finish the shopping, which she did. The caveat here is that this is only a clinic and had I been dying I don't think they could have done anything except T/F to a hospital, but I was not dying, and they did what they had to do. No fuss and no charge. Per what I observed, another patient did come in, oxygen and basic care like IV's were available. Heart monitor, but siting there for emergency only. Three beds in the ER that I saw, and while I'm there another patient came in. Elderly man.

I did come around, continued checking my own pulse which became regular, until they asked me if I'm ready to leave. With Gina's support, as always. we got home on the motorcycle, she drove. Stopped for a few additional meds on the way home.

In 5 years this is my 4th visit and top level of access to care each time. Busy or not busy they attend to me, and it doesn't hurt that we know most of the staff (in the other hospital), so can go anytime.

I still maintain that 90% of the time you don't need a private hospital or tertiary care. You just need to know where to go and after a few visits they will know you and I think you will get good care. Not so of course in big cities where they are overloaded and you might wait a half day to be seen, non emergency.

So bottom line here up north. I don't think they would or could save your life, but free care is available and easy to access once you know your way through the system.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 2