Diabetic anyone

markpa
Posted
Posted

I thought I would ask all those diabetics a question. I'm a type 2 diabetic. Also a spoiled American. Ok my Medicare and Humana pay for all the testing supplies. and also my script's. That should all come to a halt once I leave the US. cost is not big factor. My question you need a script get the lancets, strips, probably a new meter. Thanks.Mark

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi Mark .... there are a few of us diabetics here on the board .... me I was just diagnosed with type 2 late last year but to me it was borderline .... 160 but still needed to be controlled .... in the US I controlled it with diet and limited carbs but here not so easy so I now am on medication ..... first thing is to find a good Internal medicine Doc. .... not sure where you are going to move to but they are around .... get ready for a sticker shock .... mine charges me p350 per visit and she is excellent ..... as far as price of medications go I can't say as I'm taking medication for Diabetes .... High BP and a Thyroid disorder .... all three run me about p10,000 per month or $215 per month (happy to say all are well under control) .... I have only seen 2 brands of glucometers here the most popular being OneTouch Select and can be found just about any drugstore .... strips also available as well as needles (you don't need a scrip for anything except the medication) .... if you take insulin needles and meds also available .... and the pen type applicator .... unlike the US you don't need a scrip for needles here (I used to by them for my printer ink refill) ..... 

Anything else you may need just ask .... a lot will depend on where you are moving to ..... :cheersty:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I am a borderline Diabetic type 2 also.  Gave up on those little machines, they were all over the place and I did not really believe what they were telling me. This proved correct when I had a full blood test, which I have every 6 months and it is under control.  I take meds and try and eat lots of veges, fish, chicken, fruit and scotch?

Last test in Oz 3 we.eks ago, all good. Just keep taking tabs

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

Watch what your eating here mate - everything is spiked with alot of sugar here...

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I think scotch is sugar free Sander, that is what the guy who sells it to me told me and I believe him 100%

• Like 2

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

I think scotch is sugar free Sander, that is what the guy who sells it to me told me and I believe him 100%

Im more of a Gin guy Mogo. The guy who sold it to me didn't tell me its sugar free, but when he told me its 117pesos per 0,75L (35%alcohol) i was sold :D.

• Like 2

markpa
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Mike S said:
8 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Watch what your eating here mate - everything is spiked with alot of sugar here...

Oh for sure. They use sugar for everything, killing you with kindness.

7 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Im more of a Gin guy Mogo. The guy who sold it to me didn't tell me its sugar free, but when he told me its 117pesos per 0,75L (35%alcohol) i was sold :D.

7 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Hi Mark .... there are a few of us diabetics here on the board .... me I was just diagnosed with type 2 late last year but to me it was borderline .... 160 but still needed to be controlled .... in the US I controlled it with diet and limited carbs but here not so easy so I now am on medication ..... first thing is to find a good Internal medicine Doc. .... not sure where you are going to move to but they are around .... get ready for a sticker shock .... mine charges me p350 per visit and she is excellent ..... as far as price of medications go I can't say as I'm taking medication for Diabetes .... High BP and a Thyroid disorder .... all three run me about p10,000 per month or $215 per month (happy to say all are well under control) .... I have only seen 2 brands of glucometers here the most popular being OneTouch Select and can be found just about any drugstore .... strips also available as well as needles (you don't need a scrip for anything except the medication) .... if you take insulin needles and meds also available .... and the pen type applicator .... unlike the US you don't need a scrip for needles here (I used to by them for my printer ink refill) ..... 

Anything else you may need just ask .... a lot will depend on where you are moving to ..... :cheersty:

markpa
Posted
Posted
Just now, markpa said:

that's cheap compared to the usa, and no script needed. I'm familiar with the One Touch also. so no problem,thats good to see a product I know. Ohj, I think Cebu will be my new home. Thanks.Mark

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

Yes Mate, that would be the clincher for me also!!!!