Soft Tortillas and Taco Shells in Cebu City?

russellmania
Posted
Posted

I have been on the hunt for these for a while now in Cebu City. I went to Pampanga on the way back to USA and walked into a store near Fields st and BAM,there they were big as day! So they are sold in a mom and pop grocery in A.C but hard to find in a big Cebu City?

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, russellmania said:

I have been on the hunt for these for a while now in Cebu City. I went to Pampanga on the way back to USA and walked into a store near Fields st and BAM,there they were big as day! So they are sold in a mom and pop grocery in A.C but hard to find in a big Cebu City?

Ahh another happy expat in Phils, ain't it just great.  Bit like us Ozzies and our meat pies.

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, russellmania said:

Flour tortillas shouldn't be that hard to make, I would give that a go if your source dries up.

Just went back and reread, there are soft corn tortillas too and they are probably harder to make. Masa and slaked lime might not be too easy to come by. Glad you found some vital supplies anyway.:smile:

Edited by robert k

Larry45
Posted
Posted (edited)

Did you try the Fooda, across from the strip clubs in Mango?  I was there a few weeks ago and they had moved the corn and flour tortillas from the end cap to a middle aisle location in the frozen food section.  Weird how grocery stores here constantly move things to new locations.  As for taco shells, they are usually near the tortilla chips, or maybe in that ethnic section to the far left wall of same store.  Shopping here is like a scavenger hunt sometimes.

Edited by Larry45
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I gave up on finding tortillas,  had a tortilla press made for me.  I cannot find masa harina, so cannot make corn tortillas, but flour tortillas are easy to make.

tortilla press.jpg

• Like 4

kalibojerry
Posted
Posted
On 5/14/2016 at 6:00 PM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I gave up on finding tortillas,  had a tortilla press made for me.  I cannot find masa harina, so cannot make corn tortillas, but flour tortillas are easy to make.

tortilla press.jpg

looks like a nice press

kalibojerry
Posted
Posted

Same here i just make my own flour totrillas , 

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Uncle made the press for me. We had some scrap acacia wood for the base and scrap mahogany for the handle.  Not bad for scrap lumber :tiphat:

Sure wish I could find some masa harina... but flour tortillas are easy to make.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 5/14/2016 at 5:00 PM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

tortilla press.jpg

I was waiting for the press to come out Tim, you should be leading the charge here!