Hospital survey

mogo51
Posted
Posted

This might be a bit of a twist on the discussion section, but I think it fits.

I was sitting waiting for my SO at the Hospital after seeing the doctor and getting some drugs.  I was bored, so I decided to take an observation survey on the problem of obesity in Thailand.

I sat for an hour and counted heaps of people and where they slotted into- good shape, overweight, obese.

At the conclusion I found only 20% at most in the ok section, 80% in overweight/obese (an I had to add another OH MY GOD).  Just in my 8 years in Thailand, I have seen a 'growing' Thai, keep growing!

Now it could be said that being in a  hospital I am more likely to see overweight people, but skinny people get sick also.

Now I am probably going to get flack here, but Queenie forgive me, but the women patients/visitors. whatever, were indeed the worst offenders. I know it was not a broad and large survey assessment, but it was just so obvious.

For my members who know me, I know 'people in glass houses etc' and I accept that, just a discussion question?

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Hey Hey now,  I'll have you know that I resemble that remark!:nudie:

• Like 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted

I noticed in Thailand about 10 years ago the number of fat kids suddenly appearing. I put it down to the profusion of fast-food eateries (McDonalds etc.) in the cities plus they were all being ferried everywhere by car rather than relying on Shanks's pony as previously. This was not the case in the province where the kids were just as skinny as ever.

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

Its the same in the Philippines. Alot of people have "beer bellies". Im a fat ?????? myself. Body mass indeks would put me into obese, but BDI is bullsh&t as it only accounts for height and weight (not what your weight is built out of). Most bodybuilders that have really low fat levels would also be considered obese on the BMI scale.

Im happy with my 186cm (6.1 for you yanks) and 100kg (220 pounds), tho id prefer to get back to the 92kg i was while in Perth, Australia two years ago. Its the beer that made me chubby in Outback Australia (working mostly alone in the outback, with nothing to do after a hard days work) and the sugar laced food and softdrinks here.