IRS W-7 Agent Needed

ITGeek
Posted
Posted

Back in Feb 2016, I filed W-7's ITIN request forms for my asawa and her child along with my 2015 IRS 1040 return to address in Texas as per their instructions.  Normally, they assign process the ITIN's and forward 1040 onto the IRS for processing.

I included original NSO BC's and MC with W-7 forms.  We just learned the W-7's were rejected because they wanted their original passports sent with the W-7 forms, something I didn't have while in the US.  

Now that I'm in the Philippines, I need to resubmit the W-7's along with original passports to a local listed IRS W-7 Agent.  My plan is to send the forms via LBC to Jim Boyd Foundation in Angeles. I have been calling all week with no luck in getting any answer and no email is listed either.  I would like to verify correct procedure for getting ITIN's before sending documents to listed address.

Should I risk going ahead and sending the documents?  It would be nice to finally get my money the IRS owes me.  I spoke with my brother (CPA) and he said not to worried about filing extensions for IRS or CA FTB, since they owe me refunds and I get automatic 6 mo extensions.

Thanks!

jon1
Posted
Posted

You do not need to file the original passports but rather a photocopy. I accomplished this last year using the Angeles RAO http://www2.mozcom.com/~rao_cabr/ . The director (Jim Boyd) is an authorized IRS agent and will be signing off on all of the documentation. I paid them about $50 to file my amended tax returns and my wife's ITIN application. It took about 2 1/2 months for the ITIN to be assigned and another 2-3 months for my refund to be processed. I also received a paper check vs electronic refund. So you have to be prepared for that too.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, jon1 said:

You do not need to file the original passports but rather a photocopy. I accomplished this last year using the Angeles RAO http://www2.mozcom.com/~rao_cabr/ . The director (Jim Boyd) is an authorized IRS agent and will be signing off on all of the documentation. I paid them about $50 to file my amended tax returns and my wife's ITIN application. It took about 2 1/2 months for the ITIN to be assigned and another 2-3 months for my refund to be processed. I also received a paper check vs electronic refund. So you have to be prepared for that too.

To clarify what Jon said, if you file by mail on your own, you do need to send the original passport.  This was changed a while back.

If you file at Angeles RAO, I am fairly certain you need to show them original ID because that is basically their job for the IRS, verifying ID.   Not sure about the LBC part.  You will need to talk to them.

There is one nice lady taking care of the IRS work there at the Angeles RAO, and I have her card, but unfortunately we just moved and I can't find it yet.  As soon as I find it I will post it here.

• Like 1