death-burial cost in the Philippines

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes death is going to hit us all later i hope rather then sooner,

So what are the cost over in the Phils and yes many may say i am not bothered because i am dead , but your partner may not think that,

Any ideas on a ball park figure and if you have to include the party cost after try to keep that as a extra cost,plus what are the difference in cost to being buried to being cremated , or are you thinking of sending your remains back to you old land

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
changed title for google to find

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Any ideas on a ball park figure and if you have to include the party cost after

Steve you are looking at anything from 45.000 ( pauper) to 250.000 (Rip off for the same Job)

Bear in Mind that there is normally a 10 to 15 day Wake before hand and that my friend can be anything depending on those that just need a feed ( And there are plenty for Wakes) Adding another 30/40.000 would not be out of A Order ( depending on the size of the family and what you want to do) As with Most things you get what you are prepared to pay for. There are many Funeral Insurance Schemes and each has a value but as you say, you ain't going to be there so just do what is necessary. Sending your Body back to the UK will give "Ems" a total Headache mate

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Space in a cemetery is given on a 5 year lease. Assuming you haven't purchased your own plot, or have a family plot.

Simple burial for a foreigner with no extended wake? 50k in pesos or under.

That is the least of my worries, I'm sure to have that covered.

Cremation as I understand is cheaper. You get the ashes in a clay pot to take home.

After 5 years if no extension on the lease arrangement, the bones are put in a bag and "stored".

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Its sad that I know so much about burials, but here goes.

Bill was buried with no friends and no ceremony, just direct from death bed to the cemetery for a little more than 10K pesos in 2009.

That same year, Leon was cremated with no ceremony and done quickly because his wife poisoned him (she admitted it but was never charged) and she wanted the body gone fast.  I heard that cost her 50K

Lou was held at the mortuary for a 3 day viewing and buried in a dirt cheap cemetery (no pun intended) and the cost was 30K as he was a charity case and we had to pass the hat to get that much.

Tom was buried in a similar way to Lou but since his family helped out the cost was a fair 40K or so.  Again, only 3 days viewing in the mortuary and a low cost cemetery.

One final case that comes to mind is the fellow who was last seen lying in the mortuary, (his name escapes me), because his family sent money to his gf to pay the bill but she took the money and run.  So his bill was not paid, I don't know what it should have been and I don't know what they did with the body.  No one asked questions because I have found that doing so means they put a lot of pressure on you to 'be a good friend' and pay his bills for him.

There are other cases that I know of where poor expats died and the bill is usually less than 50K but mainly that is because there is no money so they have to get 'er done cheap.  I have not itemized the ones where I am not sure of the cost but I am confident of the 50K estimate.

Just for added interest.  Each of these guys was between 65 and 71 years of age.  Retire soon as we never know when our turn will come.

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Thanks boys , the price is not to bad and we have both agreed that a good bonfire will do us both, and like you say Dave i am working very very hard on finishing work next April

• Like 5

robert k
Posted
Posted

How much does a sack of concrete, a roll of wire and a one way boat ride cost?

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Retire soon as we never know when our turn will come.

OK, your my inspiration. Now before I retire will you arrange the passing the hat around with our members or should I do it myself.  :smile:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

OK, your my inspiration. Now before I retire will you arrange the passing the hat around with our members or should I do it myself.  :smile:

Done :thumbsup: Pass the hat.jpg :shades: