Register in my name or her name

Kanoman
Posted
Posted

Hi guys I need advice on registering a motorbike I plan to buy.  I plan to buy a Honda 125. I will leave it at my girlfriends family house when I go to the US for three months.  I have read some articles that say if in accident better to be in her name. Maybe her family will use when I am gone?  I want to ride to the beach near Alcoy for the three months I am in Philippines.  Trike or renting does not seem practicle. 

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Two of my friends bought bikes and toured the Islands one gave his to a brother in law the other sold his to his wife's cousin. Cost of deprecation, $200.  cousin set price. If you can afford it and the family will us it (not cash it out) let them keep it a barrow on return.   

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kanoman said:

Hi guys I need advice on registering a motorbike I plan to buy.  I plan to buy a Honda 125. I will leave it at my girlfriends family house when I go to the US for three months.  I have read some articles that say if in accident better to be in her name. Maybe her family will use when I am gone?  I want to ride to the beach near Alcoy for the three months I am in Philippines.  Trike or renting does not seem practicle. 

In Dumaguete the LTO doesn't care who re-ups the registration as long as they have insurance, cash and the smoke test. Those you leave the motorcycle with could even sell it, the new owner registering it in the original buyers name, forever, through multiple owners, but without clean papers, they may have to sell at a steep discount. Possibly they might have trouble taking it to another island, but possibly not too. Otherwise, the only thing they would have trouble with is selling the motorcycle to someone who could legally register it in the new buyers name. No two LTO offices are the same and YMMV but stuff happens.

If you were buying a commercial vehicle for the family, I would have to put it in GF/family name because of liability issues.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 3

Kanoman
Posted
Posted

Thanks Robert. I think I will register in her name to limit my liability, then take my chances when I return. 

Kanoman
Posted
Posted

I know what you mean about LTO Robert. My girl failed her drivers license test in Naval. I paid 1500 piso and they gave her a license. 

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Kanoman said:

I plan to buy a Honda 125. I will leave it at my girlfriends family house when I go to the US for three months.  I have read some articles that say if in accident better to be in her name. Maybe her family will use when I am gone?

Girls are so completely different.  One that I know well guarded her boyfriend's Honda XR like her life depended on it.  covered with a tarp, each wheel chained and padlocked, motor started and run once a week but the bike wasn't driven anywhere. Another girl with a different boyfriend let anyone who asked use her boyfriend's Honda XRM and he came back to find it had many more miles and dents on it, no one had changed oil or done maintenance, the registration had expired, tires were flat and it was out of gas, but on the bright side people no longer borrowed it.  As to who's name it is in, I can't see it making any difference until someone tries to sell it and then, as Robert says, the only difference is you get less money if you are not the owner when you sell it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Kanoman
Posted
Posted

Well, I'm am in Alcoy for 5 days now.  I bought a Honda 125 crm for 63000 new.  That includes tax release and helmet. I registered in her name and now I have nearly 100km on the odometer.. So far so good. 

I am teaching my girl to ride in a large field near the sea and the university in dalagette  

I ride to to dalagette to go to the beer garden.  

Cheers

• Like 3