Health insurance - Better coverage/value than CignaGlobal Platinum?

aro
Posted
Posted

Hi as i just moved here from Norway I have no experience dealing with health insurance as I'm used to universal healthcare. After some googling I found  CignaGlobal Platinum with a worldwide plan excluding US for 387usd a month for me and my girlfriend. It includes medical evacuation to Norway if necessary as well.

Is 387USD a good deal for 2 people? (unlimited coverage)

And does anybody of your know if I need a diving insurance (like dan-asia) as well if I go with CignaGlobal? 

-Andreas

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, aro said:

Hi as i just moved here from Norway I have no experience dealing with health insurance as I'm used to universal healthcare. After some googling I found  CignaGlobal Platinum with a worldwide plan excluding US for 387usd a month for me and my girlfriend. It includes medical evacuation to Norway if necessary as well.

Is 387USD a good deal for 2 people? (unlimited coverage)

And does anybody of your know if I need a diving insurance (like dan-asia) as well if I go with CignaGlobal? 

-Andreas

You might consider local health insurance such as blue cross. Also please take the time to read the many topics on subjects like this as often you will find many answers. 

just an edit, are you talking travel insurance or looking at insurance.

robert k
Posted
Posted

Medical evac may not work for your GF if she is a Filipina, it may not work for you either if you have been in the country for more than one year as you will need exit clearance. I would check into that part before it's needed.

aro
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the heads up robert k, I don't think thats gonna be a big problem for us as both are Norwegians, but I will check with CignaGlobal before I apply for the insurance. - 

robert k
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, aro said:

Thank you for the heads up robert k, I don't think thats gonna be a big problem for us as both are Norwegians, but I will check with CignaGlobal before I apply for the insurance. - 

If you don't leave the country at least every 6 months you will have to obtain the exit clearance certification that can take a few days even in Manila, longer outside Manila. When I last exited, if one stayed more than 1 year, you had to obtain the exit clearance in Manila. It's not that easy to leave, even for foreigners sometimes.

• 4 months later...
gaga4
Posted
Posted

I was about to start a new thread about this. But basically I am wondering what if any are expats using for medical health insurance while living in the Philippines. I have heard of Cigna Global which is based in the UK tied to parent co Cigna in the US and also GeoBlue which is US based affiliated with BCBS. The blue Cross in the Philippines I don't think is affiliated with BCBS.

Do most expats self-insure? I am really asking this question for a friend whose kid will be studying in the Philippines for the next 4 years. Thanks.

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, gaga4 said:

I was about to start a new thread about this. But basically I am wondering what if any are expats using for medical health insurance while living in the Philippines. I have heard of Cigna Global which is based in the UK tied to parent co Cigna in the US and also GeoBlue which is US based affiliated with BCBS. The blue Cross in the Philippines I don't think is affiliated with BCBS.

Do most expats self-insure? I am really asking this question for a friend whose kid will be studying in the Philippines for the next 4 years. Thanks.

Blue Cross of the Philippines is now Pacific Cross. I find their rates reasonable but I'm only 50. I recommend Philhealth concurrently as they will review the hospital bill to make sure the bill isn't padded.

• Like 2

gaga4
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, robert k said:

Blue Cross of the Philippines is now Pacific Cross. I find their rates reasonable but I'm only 50. I recommend Philhealth concurrently as they will review the hospital bill to make sure the bill isn't padded.

Thanks Bob. I'm guessing Blue Cross Philippines was not affiliated with BCBS so they had to change their name. I would expect any insurance company to review what a provider submits and not just pay the bill. In any case, I am really looking more for an international insurance company that would cover the person not only in the Philippines for 9 mos of the year while studying there but also in the US 3 mos of the year when the person goes back during school breaks. The 3 major ones I found were Cigna Global, IMG Global and GeoBlue. I have some experience with GeoBlue but their rates are high.

I am just curious if anyone in the forum is with one of these and what their experience has been. Thanks

jpbago
Posted
Posted
On 11/11/2016 at 8:38 AM, gaga4 said:

international insurance company that would cover the person not only in the Philippines for 9 mos of the year while studying there but also in the US 3 mos of the year when the person goes back during school breaks.

Pacific Cross covers 30 days outside the Philippines.

robert k
Posted
Posted

I suppose one could find two acceptable travel insurances and bounce between them if they won't let you buy consecutive policies? Whatever works.