Never Use A Fixer

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted

Over the time I have been in and out of the Philippines the number of people that use fixers for "express fees" is excessively high as most things can be done quickly and for a fraction of the cost. Im aware people are looking to save hassles but a lot of the time the fixers promise things they cant deliver which then could leave you out of pocket and a tight timeline to sort things out yourself. E.g. the medical "sex education" can be a chat with a nurse to push things through rapidly rather than paying out cash. For a smoother service its easier to get things done in provinces rather than main cities because there is a more laid back approach. Hiring a judge is pretty cheap and part of the service they are supposed to do as part of theyre working duties so you shouldnt be paying extra!

TheMason
Posted
Posted
Hiring a judge is pretty cheap and part of the service they are supposed to do as part of theyre working duties so you shouldnt be paying extra!
I think that is wishful thinking. I got married in the courthouse and it cost me 3000 pesos for the judge. If you expect the judge to come to your location, paying extra is definitely required. It might cost less in the provinces but I don't think you'll find a judge that will officiate at the wedding of a foreigner, especially a white one, without some extra fees required. Marriages might be part of their working duties, but what has that got to do with anything? You routinely pay extra in the Philippines for govt. officials to do their jobs.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Cost us 4000p for everything ... off-site .... including the paperwork ..... but then he did eat dinner with us ...... As to fixers ..... there have been people who when applying for such things as childrens birth certificates found out that they were really not married ........... or as was on TV recently the minister that married them (in quick fashion) was not actually an ordained minister at all ...... they found this out when applying for a visa to the US .....