Why Do People Make The Road Their Garbage Can

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

This has always been a pet peeve of mine, be it in the US or in the Philippines. I find it disgusting seeing passengers or drivers of other vehicles dump their trash on the road and I also see a lot of people walking toss their trash on the street.So why do you think people throw garbage all over and how can we help to stop it without people being insulted because we are foreigners?http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?artic...bCategoryId=108

Mik
Posted
Posted

Educating people about littering should start in the home and the schools. Some television public service messages would also help. When I first met my wife she thoughtlessly tossed a candy wrapper. I advised her that we should try to keep the area clean. I would not say that to a stranger.

chimellie
Posted
Posted

When the people are really poor and their corrupt government takes everything for themselves and they could careless if you and your family are starving and they are driving around with their Mercedes, eating at fancy restaurants, their kids are well dressed and well fed, in the mean time the people working all day long and still don't make enough just to buy rice, I think keeping the city clean is the least of their worry. Until the politicians start to care for the people, nothing will change.....Changes start from the top.My 2 cents

til
Posted
Posted

Well I don't think its got that much to do with being poor or not.I think some people care and some don't and some are not educated enough to realize it matters.My extended Filipino family knows that I don't like littering (I've only talked about it to my fianc

johnb
Posted
Posted

I have know doubt that littering is a result of all of the things mentioned in the above posts, but there is also the more practical side of where does someone put there litter whilst moving on the streets, in general there are no bins, but there are piles of dumped garbage that have been blown all over the streets by the wind, on the other hand go to a shopping mall where bins are provided and emptied regularly there doesn't seem to be the same littering problem, I know malls have cleaners but still you wont see so many people simply dropping there rubbish, nor for that matter will you find people urinating on walls......if rubbish containers were easily accessible and emptied regularly and public CRs were available and kept clean most of these problems would cure them selves, the bigger question is who would pay for and sustain such services? John

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I have know doubt that littering is a result of all of the things mentioned in the above posts, but there is also the more practical side of where does someone put there litter whilst moving on the streets, in general there are no bins, but there are piles of dumped garbage that have been blown all over the streets by the wind, on the other hand go to a shopping mall where bins are provided and emptied regularly there doesn't seem to be the same littering problem, I know malls have cleaners but still you wont see so many people simply dropping there rubbish, nor for that matter will you find people urinating on walls......if rubbish containers were easily accessible and emptied regularly and public CRs were available and kept clean most of these problems would cure them selves, the bigger question is who would pay for and sustain such services? John
Great point John, maybe we could start out by trying to get the fast food places to put locked garbage cans outside during their business hours, and I say locked to keep people from going through all the trash and tossing it all over the street while trying to get any possible leftover food. I wonder if an email campaign was started telling them to do their share to keep the Philippines clean might help? Hmmmmmm!

TheMason
Posted
Posted
So why do you think people throw garbage all over and how can we help to stop it without people being insulted because we are foreigners?
My all-time favorite littering story happened when I was visiting Jaipur, India. As you enter Jaipur on the road from Delhi there is an old castle on an island in the middle of a lake. We stopped and got out to take some pictures and enjoy the natural beauty of the ruins. As I was standing there enjoying the view and imagining what life in the castle would have been like, my driver walked up next to me and tossed 3 bags of trash into the lake. That's just the way it is in some places. The US was very polluted back in the 70s. It changed largely because the govt started that ad campaign with Hootie the Owl (give a hoot, don't pollute) and the Native American crying over all the trash on the ground. Environmental awareness generally only comes about after a country is more developed in other ways.

Sampaguita
Posted
Posted

It would have to start with education, public awareness and places to put litter along the streets.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Great point John, maybe we could start out by trying to get the fast food places to put locked garbage cans outside during their business hours, and I say locked to keep people from going through all the trash and tossing it all over the street while trying to get any possible leftover food. I wonder if an email campaign was started telling them to do their share to keep the Philippines clean might help? Hmmmmmm!
How about we all get together and sponsor some bins,we could then get MikeS to walk the streets to empty them :th_thbarbaque: sorry old fella thought you were looking for something to do,lol :559: Seriously it cost money to provide a garbage collection service as well as provide bins and street cleaners,the government don't have the money available for such a thing.Educating the people is a good point but also cost money.