Florida, Usa No Helmet Law

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Since we are on the subject of health in another thread, I think the no helmet law is stupid, be it in Florida or elsewhere, and there has been way more deaths because of head injuries since it was enacted, yet they do not change the law back. Who ends up paying for all the related health care, the taxpayer of course. So if a person wants to ride without a helmet and kill or cripple themselves, then that is fine with me but they should have enough health coverage to pay for all their needs if they should get hurt.I see so many people in the Philippines wearing helmets that are not strapped that it makes them useless, but at least when they get hurt no tax dollars are used to save them.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

The helmet law in Florida reads that you MUST CARRY INSURANCE for riding with out a helmet ...... and they will and do have spot checks and where I lived they will give you a ticket and impound your bike till someone with a helmet or insurance comes to ride it home ...... as to more people dying from non-helmet injuries .... a helmet is ONLY good for crashes under 30 mph that is the distance the weight is dropped on the helmet to test them ....... also the news media ONLY publishes the stories about the ones killed without a helmet not the ones wearing them ....... I remember one story in the Tampa Tribune about I guy that was killed by an 18 wheeler ... stating that the guy was not wearing a helmet ...... later on in the story they said the rear wheels of the trailer ran over the guys head .......... so I guess if he had been wearing a helmet the 97000lb trailer would not have killed him ....... probably just gave him a headache SugarwareZ-011.gifSugarwareZ-011.gifSugarwareZ-011.gif

Mik
Posted
Posted (edited)

That's the problem with collectivism. People should be responsible for their own actions. Your taxes shouldn't pay for the problems of someone else. Everyone should take care of themselves. Their family can help and even voluntary charities can help. But when the government steals your money (taxes) and gives it to someone else then it follows that the government wants to dictate your behavior too. Insurance is also a form of collectivism where one person's medical expenses are shared by the group of people insured. Maybe 60 years ago people only had catastrophic health insurance and medical costs were reasonable. Now people use insurance for routine medical care like checkups and minor problems that they used to pay cash for. Costs for health care have risen astronomically as a direct result. I prefer the pay as your go health care system here. It's no wonder health care here is cheaper. But what justifies the helmet and seatbelt laws in the Philippines? It's simply arrogant Big Brother government deciding what they think is best for the individuals. Government assumes that power over your personal choices at the cost of your individual freedom. What's to stop the government from deciding which foods you eat, how much exercise you get, how much television you are allowed to watch, how many children you are allowed to have? Their mission to control your life will keep expanding because they think it's "best for society". Collectivism leads to tyranny.

Edited by M.Morey

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

I think helments and seatbelts should be manditory. For minors. Once you are an adult you should make your own decision. I do agree however if you are injured while not using safety equipment no government money should be spent on you. Unless you purchaced specific insurance to cover that the insurance company shouldn't have to pay either.