How Japan views the world

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I found this at various places online.  It is the flat map of the world that is used in Japanese schools.  Somewhat different than the view of the world from North America.  I wonder how Philippine schools view the world.

Japanese world map.jpg

• Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted

It is not actual a flat map. Appears to be an old printed map as it would be before pasted onto a round globe. The current maps correct for the globe's roundness and today, the maps are flat and things line up the way we are used to seeing them. Detail is lacking to look for specific 19th century countries, as by knowing the date the country was formed, maps can be dated by the way they show boundaries.

Other than that, I always thought the Japanese viewed the world with a slight upward tilt of the head. :hystery: (I am 5'8")

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Bruce said:

Appears to be an old printed map as it would be before pasted onto a round globe.

So it may seem, but it is this year's prize winner as the most accurate flat map designed in Japan.

The 2016 Good Design Award results were announced recently with awards going to over 1000 entries in several different categories. But the coveted Grand Award of Japan’s most well-known design award, given to just 1 entry, was announced today. Last year the winner was a personal mobility chair and the year before that it was a robotic arm. This year, the grand prize went to a world map.

http://www.spoon-tamago.com/2016/10/28/hajime-narukawa-authagraph/

• Like 2

johnbarley
Posted
Posted (edited)

Fantastic map. Would love to get one of those.

It's amazing how a map can change your perception of history and politics.

Edited by johnbarley
  • Like 2