Health Insurance for US Citizens Living in the Philippines

gaga4
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was just wondering what carrier if any do US Expats use for health insurance while living in the Philippines and while traveling. I have used GeoBlue but find their rates are always inching up. I have heard of Cigna Global and looked at their rates. They seem to be more affordable. I have also read here that other just use a Philippine carrier or just self-insure. I can't do that bc I go back to the US at least 2x a year and have my check ups done there while I'm there. I don't really want to have 2 insurances. I'm also pre-medicare.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by gaga4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I have Medicare A & B, and a PPO with a private health insurance company. All my medical in the United States is covered except for prescription medication. The private company will also cover overseas emergency care based on 80/20 copayment. You first pay and then file for reimbursement. 

Unless you have serious medical issues like a bad heart, it might be cheaper to self-insure. The fees are reasonable compared to what you would pay in the United States. It is expensive if you have only a local income source and it is not affordable if you are Philippine poor or lower middle class.

My wife and I likewise practice dental tourism. It's cheaper in Mexico, Ecuador and the Philippines.  

• Like 3