1,000p a day. Money well spent.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

With the current exchange rate, 1,000p is a $20 bill to me. Lunch money with a tip in the US. Here, that $20 gets me two full time workers who do wood work or masonry or electrical work. These two guys have been working for me for at least 5 years and have done the majority on the work building for me and supervising others as needed. All for 1,000p total, split between the two of them. Currently working on kitchen cabinets, a few days ago they were building a solid bunk bed for one of the rental rooms. No power tools, all built by hand. As there is no EPA regulations here, paint is really paint! It is a wonder how these two have any brain cells left with the nasty fumes, but they do not complain. (Can't... drain bamage? LOL)

I throw in free lunch and send a few gifts in the boxes I send over such as dresses for their wives and hand tools for them.   

IMG_5699.JPG

IMG_5700.JPG

IMG_5701.JPG

IMG_5703.JPG

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Bruce said:

Here, that $20 gets me two full time workers who do wood work or masonry or electrical work.

I can surely understand that.  I am an expat here and US$20 is my daily budget so surely a local would be thrilled to get half of that.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I can surely understand that.  I am an expat here and US$20 is my daily budget so surely a local would be thrilled to get half of that.

I fully understand that. Because I am still working and on vacation mode, I can afford to spend more. But if I were retired and living on a monthly check, I would have to curtail my charity and personal eating habits at restaurants substantially. 

• Like 5

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

we pay our guys around the same 500 php for our driver for the day and he will only take 200 for half a day !!

also our builders and odd job guys we pay 500 php a day they use our tools ,drill-sander-rotary saw etc

and we feed them 3 times a day. we have had a few who have tried to up the salaries but my wife deals with them

as she says I am too soft ! so when the builders are around I stay inside or go out with the brother for coffee etc.

• Like 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted

That's some nice work they are doing!

• Like 2