Be Careful Where You Dig!

Hosea
Posted
Posted (edited)

There are those that strongly believe the Japanese buried gold here in the Philippines during the last world war. It has been long believed that a lot of it was buried here on our property. Tunnels have been found here along with some artifacts dating back to when the Japanese occupied this area. Piles of human bones have been found, suggesting that the stories of the Japanese military forcing Filipino men to bury the stolen gold and then they were killed so the where a bouts of the gold could not be told. Before moving here I seriously considered buying a really good medal detector. After what happened today, I am beginning to think that that may have been a good idea. My wife has a fish farmer renting her property. He doesn't pay that much (in American terms anyway) but I was and still am very happy he rents our property. As he farms his fish he also keeps our property clear of over growth. We also didn't have to worry about someone setting up home there and claiming our property as their own. Now that we live here we are trying to keep our renter here so we offered him to farm other parts of our property. He is very happy about that and began digging a new pond. Don't let anyone tell you that Filipinos don't work hard. I don't think I could have worked that hard when I was a young man. They pick up large and small rocks all day and dig the other part of the day. Building dicks and moving large amounts of dirt. Today our renter came to our house and told my wife they found something interesting about a meter and a half under the mud where a pond had been for at least the past ten years. Excited we all walked back to where he was digging. It was a bomb! No, not the bomb. It was really a small bomb. About the size of a loaf of bread. So you know what happened next. First all the surrounding family came running to see. Then non relatives came. Everyone was excited. One guy even wanted to pee on it. After a lot of joking and moving it around and even me taking video of it. The police were called.Probably a half hour later the police showed up. They went back to the dig site and picked it up, put it in their truck and left. Not before they told everyone there that we all could have been blown up. I'm thinking after he said that ("and you are carrying it in a bag to your truck and then drive down our really bumpy street"). Yeah, it could have really turned out to be a bad day. About an hour later and now it is very dark outside, GMA showed up and took video of the dig site.Oh, by the way. It is said that the local government has a new project. They are widening the main road here. It is said to allow for a new bus passage across Mindanao. This new highway happens to begin at the sea where an old Japanese tunnel has been found and is now off limits. It is said to be gold somewhere there and that is why the government has made it all off limits. So, back to the pond. It isn't finished. There is still more dirt needed to be dug up and moved. My wife asked the renter what he was going to do. He said dig very carefully. :558:

Edited by Hosea

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
There are those that strongly believe the Japanese buried gold here in the Philippines during the last world war. It has been long believed that a lot of it was buried here on our property. Tunnels have been found here along with some artifacts dating back to when the Japanese occupied this area. Piles of human bones have been found, suggesting that the stories of the Japanese military forcing Filipino men to bury the stolen gold and then they were killed so the where a bouts of the gold could not be told. Before moving here I seriously considered buying a really good medal detector. After what happened today, I am beginning to think that that may have been a good idea. :no:
Interesting story,gold, did someone say gold.Would you be able to lease me some of your land?Hey Lee,might have a job for you,fly to Cebu and pick up MikeS as soon as you can, you will need picks and shovel,ohh better get some safety glasses.Will send more details soon,check that your will is up to date. :558:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Very interesting Hosea. Our relatives in Mindanao had asked me to buy them a metal detector a few times over the years, and while I know there may be gold in them there hills :558: I also know that the chances of finding it would probably be slim to none and that the chances of them finding some of the unexploded ordnance would have been much greater, thus I did not buy them one. My feeling on the gold is that the Japanese sent trusted friends back to pick it up and that it is long since gone by now, or people have already found it. I have read many stories about deep trap type holes and my take is that if they were going to hide anything, that they would have hidden it deep in caves and not in a hole that might also get them killed while trying to dig it back up. Another way to hide things would have been with booby trap set explosives and I sure would not have wanted our family to dig and blow themselves up.I guess your experience just proves my thinking to be at least partially correct and makes me happy that I never bought them a metal detector.

Hosea
Posted
Posted

I was told many times by family here that tunnels were found, some going all the way to the ocean. Some are deep. The tunnel that is suspected to have gold and other war artifacts the government has closed off is said to be deep. Divers were reported to have gone in the section that is suspected to have gold. Immediately the government restricted that area from the public. There are many holds dug on our property in the past. Some relatives and some not. Everyone is looking for gold. I would be kind of afraid to find it anyway. People (government) finds out you have it. Then what? Might just be more problems then it may be worth. After doing some research online, I have found that our bomb looks a lot like a mortar shell. I took video but since I don't speak the local language I don't know what was being said and I don't want to show the faces of family and friends that were there.

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

Even property I rented near Angeles City for my duck farm had a hole about 60ft wide and 40 ft deep that the owner years ago dug, looking for gold.....nice deep pond now, but not much else.

Hosea
Posted
Posted

That's what I am told also twostrokes. It seems they use the old mining holes for septic tanks and trash.